Friday, February 25, 2005
The Twenty-second
A few moments ago, on Fox News's "Special Report with Brit Hume," I learned that several members of Congress on both sides of the aisle have it in their teeny tiny brains to repeal the twenty-second amendment to the Constitution.

For those of you who can't pick out the 22nd, that is the one enacted because of FDR, limiting any President to two terms of office. It seems the Dems would like another era of Slick Willy and the Republicans would like to extend the era of President Bush.

I think this would be incredibly unwise. We are not an elected monarchy. I want the President to be a moderate in his term or terms, seeking to please the consensus of Americans. I want the President to have the courage of his convictions. However, I don't want him to be a lifer, or for it to be impossible to remove him. I think this would lead to more assassinations and take the power of choosing a leader away from the people. I think it would be foolish. As it is, a first term President, if he likes his job, has to worry about getting things done and doing what is best for Americans. A second term President, as it is, can relax somewhat on his concerns of politics and have more leverage to do what he sees is right, concentrate on his legacy. However, power is corrupting (case in point, William Jefferson Clinton) and it is supremely stupid to give any branch of the government too much power. Without the term limits, I'm afraid an American President could become an American King. I want him tethered on a leash, not roaming all over the place biting others.

Look, I like President Bush, but I don't think he is perfect. Times change. It is a good idea to keep fresh ideas coming into the seat of power in this nation. A man who is not concerned about his end of days does not necessarily see the importance of seeking compromise. He can wait the others out.

Something else concerns me. Since I've been blogging, I've come across a great many people that I admire and respect for their well-reasoned points of view, their open-mindedness, and their thirst for the truth and solutions. In my non-blogging life, I've come across a great many bubble-headed idiots.

While I feel comfortable with the first group choosing a leader using all of their faculties, I'm afraid I've met too many of the latter group who choose a candidate based on sex appeal, charisma, t.v.q., or some other ridiculous reason. My point is, at least half of the electorate is blithering idiots I wouldn't let babysit my pet rock. I'm afraid it would be far too easy to get stuck for far too long with a King Bill.

With any luck, Congress will agree.
posted by Phoenix | 5:54 PM


>0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Poetry:


Popular Posts:


Fiction:

divas


mensclub


divaettes


fighting 101s