Friday, March 04, 2005
The Blogosphere is in Warp Speed
Everybody is blogging about this article, written by Declan McCullagh for cNet.

Apparently Bradley Smith of the FEC says that the days of political bloggers are numbered. The first issue, apparently, is about these sites linking to campaign websites. A secondary issue has to do with email.

What a quagmire. It is clear as mud. After reading the article, I'm so pissed I can't see straight. So, skip the rest of the following rant if you want.

First, I'll damn well do as I wish. The Constitution protects my speech and that of all citizens. It is a natural right. If the KKK can peacefully march through a Jewish neighborhood advocating their thoughts, I'll be damned if they are going to prohibit me from posting my thoughts on line. Anti-war protestors can call soldiers who died in defense of this country "Baby Killers" and other horrifying things, and that is protected speech, so why not me? Merely because a few hundred people read what I write each week? That's crap! Several thousand might hear me if I did it on a soapbox in the street.

Here's another thing. I can put a sign in my yard either supporting or opposing some candidate or issue, and that is protected. I can volunteer hundreds of hours of my time to a candidate and this is not a problem. But, if I go online and call John Kerry a poseur, a flaming liberal, a liar, hypocrite, or gun-grabber, I've crossed some mysterious line.

That is bullshit!

If I were to write an editorial in the newspaper, that would be protected and alright. But not on a blog.

I do not get paid for what I write. Nobody ever asks or directs me to write on a particular subject. Nobody important even knows who I really am. Yes, I have been known to endorse a particular candidate, but that is my right as an American Citizen under the Constitution of the United States. I do not beg donations or get paid in services or favors. I am the quintessential nameless, faceless, opinionated American Woman. Nobody is required to read my site. It is the same as the people who are not required to listen to protestors on the street.

You know what? Come and get me. You will not stiffle my dissent or prevent me from voicing my opinions. I will engage in the political discourse as I see fit. If you attempt to stop me...well, you had better be wearing protective gear. You shall not stop me. I will fight this all the way to the Supreme Court, do you hear me? Do you punk? I will call politicians knuckle-draggers if I like. I will call them idiots or mouth-breathers or cowards if I like. Nothing some idiotic bureaurat dictates is going to matter to me one bit.

Sue me. Go ahead and fucking try. I am spectacular when provoked to my full extent of righteous indignation. Come and get me you cocksuckers! I am a direct descendant of the people who have sweated blood for this country. I know all about revolution. If this government does not serve us, by God, We will make us one that will.

I will not bow to some Big Brother. Come and get me. I'll be waiting for you jack-booted thugs of the FEC. I'll be wearing a pink bow in my hair...and combat boots for kicking your lily-livered asses.

Hell hath no fury like a pissed-off woman!

Bryan comments here. (he's fabulous, by the way.)

Smash is here.

Jiblog is here and here.

The Blue State Conservatives weigh in here.

Nothing from Noble Eagle yet, but I expect he has an opinion.

Labels:

posted by Phoenix | 10:39 AM


>1 Comments:

At 7:05 PM, Blogger Feisty said...

Very nicely done Phoenix.

Welcome to the Feisty Blogroll, lady!!

; )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Poetry:


Popular Posts:


Fiction:

divas


mensclub


divaettes


fighting 101s