Thursday, May 25, 2006
Best & Worst of Both
The Divas and Gents are covering a new topic today. After all, it is Thursday again.

This week, the question is: What do you think are your best and worst attributes and what are the best and worst attributes of the opposite sex.

My flaws? I have none. I am perfection personified. And, I'm humble to boot.

Just kidding. In all honesty, I have a great many flaws. I am too opinionated, for one. This makes people crazy, I know, but to be fair, I was raised to have an opinion. When I was growing up, my father demanded that I have an opinion and be able to support it. This drives my mother crazy. I think it was one of the things (being opinionated) that she found less than attractive in my father.

On the big transgressions, I do not forgive easily, if at all. Call me close-minded, judgemental, whatever. I'm not going to forgive someone for thinking that it is okay to do drugs in my home or on my property. This is where I raise my children. If you want to engage in behavior that is not just risky but has serious legal ramifications, don't expect me to make you an important person in my life. I won't. I can't. My child is my universe and I will not put her in danger. If you don't like it, well...expose your own children to it then. Do not cheat on me or break your word. Then, we'll get along just fine.

I am abrasive. I tend to say things without thinking first how they are going to sound and end up giving people the wrong impression. I don't mean to, certainly. I want to be nice and polite to everyone, but the fact of the matter is, you can't cross the street anymore without offending someone. I don't want to be constantly watching my toes, either though, so I try to strike a balance. For the past three years I have been taking Diplomacy lessons and living by the ol' standard, "if you don't have anything nice to say...."

Except for here at the blog, because that is what this space is for.

My best attributes? I have a genuine love of learning, am reasonably well-read (if it interests me), and better-informed than most. More importantly, I am an excellent friend and will do just about anything for anybody. You will not find a more loyal confidant, nor a stronger supporter. I desire to make people happy and want things to be beautiful and tasty. I want people to be in love, for children to have miraculous and engaging childhoods. I want people to learn from me whatever they can, but not in some oddious officious way. If I can help, I want to do so.

Now, to the opposite sex.

The thing that makes me want to beat my head against the wall about men is the way that they can't stick to a schedule, timeline, or plan, or act like they still need their mamas to take care of them. Don't get me wrong, not all men fall into these behaviors. Some can stick to a schedule and a plan, but still can't pick up their dry cleaning. Do you know what I mean?

Men are more live-and-let-live than I can stand, ordinarily. Bills due? I'll deal with them next week. Can't move my leg? Maybe I'll see a doctor in a few days. We're supposed to be there at what time? Whatever.

I want to rattle their little brains and say, "Get it in gear, bozo! I'm not your mother, but I will chase you with the lawnmower if you push me!"

I love men, I honestly do. But I don't understand the dicotomy. If something is important to him, he can get things done in an expedient and efficient manner. If it isn't important to him, but is important to someone else, well, we are going to be late, or have another issue.

My husband, of course, only does this about the crown molding, though.

Man's best attribute? Their strength and character. If the worst happens, they will save the day. He will stand up and protect his family with his life, if need be. Oh, and the hugs and kisses.

Anyway, go see what the others have to say: Silk, Theresa, Arielle, Mark, and Jamesyboy.

Special note: We are in need of topics again, so if you have a question you want the Divas and Gents to answer, leave a comment.
posted by Phoenix | 9:01 AM


>2 Comments:

At 1:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are definitely a good friend to have for the reasons you listed and so many more.

; )

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger Phoenix said...

Thank you, my friend, but the same could be said of you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Poetry:


Popular Posts:


Fiction:

divas


mensclub


divaettes


fighting 101s