Friday, October 15, 2004
Hoppin' Mad
You know I can 'go off' in a heartbeat sometimes, but something M. Kerry said in the last debate has my panties in a bunch. I have paraphrased his comments below:

"I was hunting in Iowa last year with a sheriff from one of the counties there, and he pointed to a house in back of us, and said, "See that house? We did a drug bust there last week earlier, and the guy we arrested had an AK-47 lying on the bed right beside him. Because of the president's failure to push the renewal of the assault weapons ban, law enforcement officers will walk into a place that will be more dangerous. Terrorists can now come into America and go to a gun show and, without even a background check, buy an assault weapon today."

My issues with this are numerous, so I'll try to be concise. Also, my source of information is the smartest man I know on gun issues, my dad. I'm trying to get some independent confirmation from Kim du Toit, and I will update if he responds.

So, back to the vanquishing:

First and foremost, the AK-47 is a fully automatic machine gun and was legislated against long before the assault weapons ban. Second, supposing that really was an AK-47, no criminal is going to follow the laws of the land in acquiring it, so no amount of legislation matters. Third, they actually do perform background checks at gun shows. I've been. I've seen it done.

Therefore, Kerry is either stupid, in which case he isn't fit to be President, or sloppy in his details, in which case he isn't fit to be President, or lying, in which case he isn't fit to be President. Furthermore, I suspect that his personal anecdote was meant to frighten the suburban soccer moms out there with the mental picture of an AK-47 lying on a bed in Iowa.

AND IT REALLY PISSES ME OFF!

The Assault Weapons Ban was dumb legislation. It made things illegal because of how they looked, amounting to little more than gun metal prejudice! I realize that most Democrats fear guns like mice fear barn cats, but the fact of the matter is that there are millions of law-abiding gun owners in the United States. If we were all mass murderers, the population wouldn't be bulging. The Assault Weapons Ban failed to get renewed because...for once, our Representatives in Congress recognized the bill as the bit of ineffectual fluff it was. What do you know, a bit of sense from Congress.

John Freakin' Kerry has me MAD AS HELL, and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Labels:

posted by Phoenix | 8:30 AM


>0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Poetry:


Popular Posts:


Fiction:

divas


mensclub


divaettes


fighting 101s