Monday, October 31, 2005
Culture Clash, again
One of the hardest things for me to get used to, a Kansas/Illinois girl living in Wisconsin, has always been the clash of cultures. I've commented on this before many times, but I have a fresh example of that which sends me into confusion.

Remember me posting on my wonderful baby shower? Well, I have recently learned that something more about that day.

Some of the guests, it seems, didn't quite understand the theme or the notion of a guest of honor. Apparently, they kept wanting to know where the liquor was. Nevermind the fact that this event was billed as a Tea Party. Nevermind the fact that it took place at 1:30 in the afternoon. Nevermind the fact that the guest of honor, 7 months pregnant, couldn't imbibe. The guests still expected adult liquid refreshment.

Beer, booze, who knows?

They even went to secretive lengths to acquire said beverages. Perhaps if they knew the correct password or secret handshake they could gain entry to the big wine cooler in the sky.

This vexes me. This vexes me mightily. First of all, it was a freakin' Tea Party. Now, I realize that "tea party" is sometimes a euphemism for women drinking liquor on the sly, but that would have meant quotes around tea party on the invites, am I right? I mean, the Boston Tea Party was little more than organized patriotic vandalism, but they didn't come expecting to ransack my neighborhood, now did they?

Who throws a baby shower with booze? Tell me! Who?

Why in blue blazes would you have a beverage at a party knowing that the Guest of Freakin' Honor could not partake? This, to me, is wholly rude! It would be the equivalent of offering up a dinner and serving steak tartar as an appetizer at a do to honor a lifetime vegetarian. It is crass and rude. It isn't as though beverages other than tea weren't offered. They were. However, they were equally unalcoholic.

Furthermore, what is this business? I mean, it is one thing to get tanked at a football bash or a strip club, but were are talking about a wholesome baby shower here. I suppose we should have had shot glasses printed with little storks, or something. Tequila shooters all around, and buttery nipples for the Grandmas in the crowd?

Bah! See, this is what I mean. I fear that I shall never really fit in here in Wisconsin. I don't think beer and liquor is appropriate for a baby shower. I also don't think you should have a stripper at a baby shower. (To be fair, nobody as far as I know asked when the 'entertainment' would be arriving.) These are things that belong to a different sort of festivity.

But then again, I wasn't weaned on Miller High Life, so perhaps I can't really say.

Still. I think it was rude of them to badger the hostess about where she was hiding the booze.
posted by Phoenix | 11:03 AM


>3 Comments:

At 1:03 PM, Blogger Caltechgirl said...

i never heard of such a thing either. sheesh.

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger The Maximum Leader said...

I once had to sit around and wait for my lovely wife at a baby shower. I wish I were loaded during that time. All the cooing and giggling was a little much for me.

Maybe the person looking for the adult beverages was just glad to be out of the house... They needed to celebrate... You know, let their hair down.

Just thinking aloud here...

 
At 12:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a product of Walworth County, I feel it necessary to defend the "Wisoncin culture." I'm not sure how well you knew your guests. If they knew you were not a drinker, then they were rude. If they did not know, I can't see why they were wrong to ask for a traditional drink at a party. If they made a big deal after they were told there was no beer - then they were rude. But if they simply asked, I don't see what the big deal was.

Of course, we always had a keg for church softball.

I wonder if the German ethnicity of a fair number of Badgers has anything to do with that...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Poetry:


Popular Posts:


Fiction:

divas


mensclub


divaettes


fighting 101s