Friday, February 17, 2006
Curling
I swear, everytime I flip the channels, I run into olympic curling coverage. Is this the only Winter Olympic Sport?

Sport. That's a laugh. I mean, aren't we really talking about the Upper Midwest's answer to shuffleboard? Talk about a game that must have been invented by three drunken guys.

I can see it now:

Denny, Danny, and Ike are out ice fishing and drinking on the local pond. They have reached the silly drunk phase and are now looking for mischief.

Danny says, "Hey! Look at that big rock."

Ike says, "Denny, I bet you can't move it. I bet you a case of Old Milwaukee you can't move it!"

Denny gets that look in his eye. He was the bright one; he still had all of his teeth. "Oh yeah? You're on!" Denny walks over to the big rock, leans down, and proceeds pushing it. He lets go and the rock slides another 7 feet across the ice.

Ike says, "Aww, man! Double or nothing you can't get it across the pond and hit a target."

And so, curling was born. Or at least this is how I imagine it. I'm too lazy to research the actual origins for you. In the meantime, how cool is it that it developed into such a cult following that it is now an olympic event? Perhaps they were just desperate for winter sports?
posted by Phoenix | 9:37 AM


>0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Poetry:


Popular Posts:


Fiction:

divas


mensclub


divaettes


fighting 101s