Wednesday, June 10, 2009
Attention Gamers:
SpySistah and I were talking yesterday and reminiscing a bit. She asked me a question that I couldn't really answer and I'm hoping that if anybody still reads this blog, maybe they'll have an answer.

Here's the lead-in:

Back in the day, SpySistah and I enjoyed computer games. But, they were a certain sort of computer game that I call extended problem-solving games. In particular, we played King's Quest and Police Quest and Leisure Suit Larry. In these games, you sort of had to explore until you stumbled upon the best way to proceed.

Do these sorts of games still exist?

I'm not talking about the Sims (no offense, total waste of time) or the build your own amusement park, etc. games.

I'm looking for a game with a real goal that you have to figure out on your own. And, I'm not talking about the sort of game where the structure is obvious and you simply have to press the right buttons in the right order to get to the next level a la Mario Brothers.

Do these sorts of games still exist?

Leave a comment if you have a suggestion...
posted by Phoenix | 9:24 AM


>4 Comments:

At 9:32 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Lucas Arts announced awhile back that they'd be bringing back the Adventure game genre by 2015.

I can honestly say I haven't seen a single game that quite fits into that genre recently... but some RPGs have implemented at least a few adventure-type elements.

 
At 5:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ever tried Myst ? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myst

Originally released back in the nineties. Lots of puzzles as you work your way through it.

 
At 6:01 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh Myst was a great game. Talk about puzzling. I think they made some sequels recently... and by recently I mean within the last 8 to 10 years.

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger L O D America, Inc. said...

I just have to laugh over Leisure Suit Larry! That was such fun!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Poetry:


Popular Posts:


Fiction:

divas


mensclub


divaettes


fighting 101s