Tuesday, February 15, 2005
Film Review
I'm back in the Captain's Chair, charting a course for...I don't know.

Yesterday was just crazy! But after the craziness, Prince Charming took me out to see Hitch. Okay, as far as anniversary celebrations go it was a bit tame...but nice nonetheless. We didn't get to eat dinner because of a situation involving keys locked in a car but I shall not linger on that topic. Men have fragile egos, you know.

Hitch, for those that are unaware, is the new Will Smith vehicle that also features Kevin James. It is a romantic comedy about a man who helps other men traverse the turbulent waters of dating. The Date Doctor, played by Smith, is driven by his own traumatic experience with one woman from his college years. The geeky college guy (presumably the experience led him to his personal makeover and new GQ attitude) falls desperately in love with a young lady who plays him false. He's whining in the rain as she's behaving badly in the front seat of some fella's car. Smith's character is hurt and uses this experience to build himself a career.

He helps men who need help with women socially. As far as I can tell, he merely gave them a small makeover and a boost in confidence. He tells himself that he does more...but it is clear by the end of the movie that this isn't true. I could deconstruct all of the negative messages in this movie all day, but I won't.

It was a romantic comedy, not an historical biopic, therefore we shall take some things as givens. However, I will say that the story seemed to ramble there in the middle a bit, that Eva Mendes's portrayal was...boring, and that it was only a so-so performance from Will Smith. I have come to expect more from Smith than what I saw last night. Far and away the best parts of the film were those featuring Kevin James. He stole the show! I couldn't help wishing that there were more scenes with him. In my opinion, they should have rewritten the screenplay and stuck in a third date for James's character and his lady love. James and Smith are excellent together and James playing his quirky clumsy accountant is a real pleasure to watch.

The nachos were not good. Stick with the m&m's.
posted by Phoenix | 7:44 AM


>0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Poetry:


Popular Posts:


Fiction:

divas


mensclub


divaettes


fighting 101s