Monday, March 28, 2005
Reason #879 Why Living in Wisconsin Sucks
See this post at the Badger Blog Alliance.

Burmaster, the Superintendant of the Dept. of Public Instruction here in Wisconsin, feels that the role of parents should be limited in their children's education. According to her brief, parents should make

sure the child has a well-lighted place to work, a regular time for homework and
adequate supplies.

...

Nowhere, however, is the parent directed to deliver the lesson in the first instance, review concepts, oversee testing, evaluate test answers and make judgments about their sufficiency, incorporate additional curricular materials or any of the myriad other tasks that WIVA’s responsible adults perform daily.


Once again, big brother feels that I am incapable. I despise this nanny state. By these definitions, my parents have committed gross misconduct when it comes to my education. But you know what? I'm glad that they did.

It is so ridiculous! There are more things to learn out in the big wide world than exist between the pages of the state curriculum. More to the point, it is the parent's responsibility to make sure that any bias delivered by the "professionals" is countered and balanced.

Am I wrong?
posted by Phoenix | 10:04 AM


>1 Comments:

At 10:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just another reason why I shell out money (above and beyond the school taxes I already pay) to send my kids to a private school.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Poetry:


Popular Posts:


Fiction:

divas


mensclub


divaettes


fighting 101s