Tuesday, April 12, 2005
Bad Boy Allure
The indomitable, charming, and vivacious divas are demystifying the allure of the bad boy today. You know me, I have to chime in with my own twenty-five cents (adjusted for inflation).

The fact of the matter is, most girls do go through a bad boy phase. I believe it is because these women seek an escape from their very goodness. We are taught from birth to be good and ladylike, gentle, passive, and sweet. We get to a certain age and we seek to rebel against these constraints. We run to the most reasonable source of danger: the bad boy.

Bad Boys come in all shapes and sizes. They can be the guy on the motorcycle wearing black leather. They can be the brooding outsider cloaked in mystery. They can be the guy who drives too fast and leads a secret life. But the thing that we find appealing is the danger, the mystery, and the opportunity to wear those same adjectives ourself, at least for a while. Some women enjoy being mistreated. Strange but true. But, not all bad boys are violent. They usually are emotionally unavailable, and this too we find intriguing. He is the fish that can't quite be caught. You can get him in the boat, but you'll never get him in the fry pan. He is a challenge we can't resist, a project, and yes, even an opportunity to prove ourselves. We see the tortured soul beneath that rough and tumble exterior. He calls to us like a siren. We want to love him.

Inevitably though, the bad boy allure fades. We get past that desire and we move on to Mr. Right. Thank goodness!

But, what the topic misses is the fact that men too get this affliction. Men like bad girls just as much as women like bad boys. Face it! It is true. In high school, 98% of my friends were boys. And they all chased after the girls that were mean to them. Mean and nasty. Dangerous, loose moraled girls. Men like bitchy women maybe, I don't know. Maybe the Men's Club can answer and explain this phenomenon. I only want it pointed out that women are not alone in this affliction.
posted by Phoenix | 7:12 AM


>2 Comments:

At 9:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh... ain't that the truth!! I'm just getting past my bad boy stage. I dated several military men before I moved on but I think I can finally say I have. And I do think it has a lot to do with the fact that I've always done what everyone expected, always been top of my class, the dependable one, the one mostly likely to succeed etc. Sometimes you just want get away from all that and the bad boy is definately a good distraction. Plus women get the idea that they might be the one that can "tame" him, make him want to settle down, etc. I blame this on romance novels, movies, and tv in general. Shoes don't stretch and men don't change. Trust me, women will be a lot happier when they learn to except that. LOL

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Phoenix said...

Me? Mine was a slow progression of varying degrees of Bad in the Bad Boys until I got one I could train into Mr. Right.

The first one turned out to be a rapist, the second...a stalker, the third was a compulsive liar. And last but not least, a commitment-phobe that I was able to wear down/train into Mr. Right.

But you see what I mean, I slowly worked my way from bad to acceptable.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Poetry:


Popular Posts:


Fiction:

divas


mensclub


divaettes


fighting 101s