Tuesday, April 19, 2005
In Defense of the Divas
Yesterday, this post by Kathy caught me just as I was logging off for the day, so I'm just getting around to commenting now. Please forgive my untimliness; I do have a life to lead, you know.

Anyway, the delay just means that my bile over the thing had time to fester and rot. Warning: Rant Ahead.

For those not keeping up, someone named Mamamontezz (I feel dirty just for linking) has decided that our beloved Demystifying Divas don't make the 'diva' cut. I'm saying bullsh!t.
She calls them a "silly little echo chamber of femaleness." I think Mamamontezz is going through the "change." (Hey, if she can be catty, so can I!)

Listen up, because I'm only going to say it once: The Divas Rock & Roll! I love them. They are charming, warm, friendly women. They have heart. They are intellectual and clever. They write about the things that you don't find Michelle Malkin blogging about. Yeah, they are all over current events too, but no disrespect to Malkin, she's not going to cover shaving and infidelity like the Divas do. I love Malkin too. But it is a different love than that I have for the Divas.

And that's another thing. The "Demystifying Divas" gave themselves the name as a joke. It has alliteration, sounds good, and the name sort of acts as a billboard for their topics. Simply put, they are demystifying women for the men out there. It is ridiculous to think that they are actually claiming divinity for themselves. There is more to the definition of 'diva' than divinity. Diva is a term used almost interchangeably with prima donna. On the other hand, it can also just be a woman with a strong opinion. This definition fits. If my blog was not Villains Vanquished, but "Straight from the Oval Office", and I called myself "Potus" instead of "Phoenix"...that doesn't mean I think I'm The President of the United States.

But the grumpy one can't see past the first definition. Go figure. As such, I thought I would provide a valuable service to her and let her in on a few poorly kept secrets in the same vein of the "they aren't really divas" argument she makes.

As such, I hereby assert that The Llama Butchers are neither llamas, nor butchers. Do they earn Mamamontezz's ire? The Noble Eagle does not actually have wings, though his can be predatory. The Womanmoose is not really a moose. The Galley Slaves are not actually enslaved. The Beatles were not insects, The Monkees were not actually monkeys.

Get over yourself, geesh.

Note to Kathy: I know you took the high road, but I just couldn't. She deserved worse for not having the decency of at least linking to you if she was going to badmouth you all. I'm not the kind of girl who sits idly by and lets people unfairly attack the people I care about. That's not the Villains Vanquished way. We call a spade a spade, a jerk a jerk, and a mean-spirit petty woman...well, you know. The blog kid had to get out her cutlass for you today. I hope you don't mind overmuch.
posted by Phoenix | 12:04 PM


>4 Comments:

At 2:32 PM, Blogger Feisty said...

As the only blog niece, you so rock!

I also leave you in my Feisty Last Will and Testament.

Well written, darling, and on point.

En garde, Montezz, I believe the lady just drew blood.

 
At 2:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I may have to adopt you aswell! Thank you for the defense it was marvolous, and there was me trying to be well behaved and polite! ;)

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger Phoenix said...

K - Thank you, but it had to be done. I'll just be the princess - the throne is yours.

C - Thank you, thank you. We (that's the royal 'we' are pretty good with the cutlass.

S - No point in "well-behaved and polite." You have to fight fire with fire. Or...one bitch deserves another!

 
At 5:57 PM, Blogger null said...

Excellent way to back up your girls. You are indeed Divaesque. Thank you SO much, dahling

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Poetry:


Popular Posts:


Fiction:

divas


mensclub


divaettes


fighting 101s