Monday, May 09, 2005
What's in a name?
The baby still needs a name, a situation that will likely endure for some time. And everybody has an opinion about it too. The trouble is, my own name is not standard vanilla fare, so I am loathe to name my child the equivalent of my generation's "Jennifer" or "Amy." Seriously, in my sorority pledge class there were 9 Jennifers (or derivations therof) and 7 Amys (spelled in numerous ways).

So I want to avoid the trendy names.

But the bigger name to get used to is "Mom." Prince Charming called me that the other day and I nearly jumped, it was so weird. I could be a "mommy" or a "mum," but "Mom?" I don't think so. It is too weird. On the other hand, maybe it is something you grow into.

My own mother doesn't want to be referred to as "Oma." I can't blame her. It sounds too old. But what do I know? I'm still trying to get over the idea of squeezing out 8 pounds of human.

Bigger fish to fry, as they say.
posted by Phoenix | 2:57 PM


>0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Poetry:


Popular Posts:


Fiction:

divas


mensclub


divaettes


fighting 101s