Tuesday, July 05, 2005
Bridezilla
Christina is discussing the Bridezilla phenomenon. Check it out.

For my part, I have to admit that I certainly could have become a bridezilla. It is in my nature as a control-freak, anal-retentive, detail-obsessor. However, I don't think I went 'zilla. I didn't have time. I had to move, find a new job, and plan my wedding all from out-of-town. I had to negotiate a peaceful compromise between my parents and please The Charmings. Oh, yeah, and I couldn't spend more than $1500 if I wanted Dad's cash gift for eloping.

That's right, Dad bribed me to elope with cash for a down payment on a house. However, The Charming's were not going to let us elope - swearing they'd follow us to Tahoe or Vegas or Jamaica - so the romantic elopement was out. My father, who really is the best in the world, agreed that if I spent less than $1500 of my own money, had less than 50 guests, and didn't let anybody else give me away, he'd consider it an elopement - or close enough for him.

Quite rightly he was offended at the very notion of shelling out an arm and a leg for something as fleeting as a wedding. I'm so glad that he did. Our wedding wasn't any fabulous extravaganza or anything you are likely to see in a magazine. But, we were married on Valentine's Day and broke ground on the new home we built a mere 5 weeks later. We moved into our first real brand-new home in July, having only been married 5 months. How many non-Paris Hilton types can say that?

I didn't spend much money. We did the cooking ourselves. My dress and the liquor for the event were gifted to us. It is hard to go diva when you are knee-deep in potato peelings. My maid of honor picked her own dress. All in all, there was no bridezilla stomping, storming, or destruction. For heaven's sake, I handmade turtles for favors!

It doesn't have to be that way either. I know that all brides want their day to be beautiful and magical. But too many seem to lose the real magic in a wedding: we you look into each other's eyes and pledge your life and love to each other. That's the magic. Everything else fades. Anybody who tells you differently is selling something (probably a wedding vendor of some sort).
posted by Phoenix | 11:49 AM


>1 Comments:

At 9:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have your father's sound sense. Great for you!

I share your traits, but I believe for both of us, it is tempered by common sense.

Well said.

; )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Poetry:


Popular Posts:


Fiction:

divas


mensclub


divaettes


fighting 101s