Thursday, January 12, 2006
Limiting True Love to One Time Round
Hello devotees of the Divas and Gents weekly topical take on all issues facing the sexes. That's right, my lovelies, here I am at the keyboard, toiling away and wearing my water-raw finger pads to the nub, to bring you the scintillating topics that you desire.

I am nothing if not devoted to you and your inquiring minds.

Ha.

Okay, so this week we are answering the following classic and vexing question: Is there really only one true love out there in life for each of us?

Honestly, I don't even need four minutes to think on this one. The answer, unequivocally, is NO. NO, no, no, no,...NO!

Love is a magical thing, to be sure. But it isn't so terribly rare. Think of it as the miracle of life, the wonder in a newborn's face. It is a treasure, but it is only a common miracle. If we are talking exclusively about romantic love between two consenting adult humans, (and I really think that is the purpose of this topic - no goat love issues here, folks), then I must say No.

As a woman, I have been in love a couple of times. As a teenager, I truly loved my high school boyfriend. It was as deep a love as we were capable of at that time in our lives, but it was real love. Later, in college, I fell in love again. This was a more mature relationship and a more mature type of love. And, of course, now I am married to a man that I love more with each passing day.

Love is not limited. As we grow as individuals and our life paths lead in new directions, our heart seeks out and finds what it craves. There is not just one true love in life, but a series of very real, very true loves. But, as no two people's paths are exactly the same, no two people have the very same experiences in love. Each love is equally valid in its own way, but invariably some loves will mean more to us as we grow and mature.

A small part of me will always love my high school sweetheart, schmuck that he is, because he was my first love and we shared some very sweet moments. And, a part of me will always love the Rat Man who came next, for the way he touched my heart.

As true as the loves were, they both pale in comparison to the love I share with my husband. He is a port that I don't wish to stray from...he is my home. So long as we have each other, I know that everything will be okay. He cherishes me and I treasure him right back. We have a mature love based on mutual respect. It is a trusting bond filled with playfulness. You can't expect to duplicate it, because no two loves are exactly the same, but it doesn't exclude the possibility that I or he might find love with another in our golden years as we putter around the retirement community.

The real truth about love? You won't find it if you go out looking for it. Love finds you. It can hit you like a bolt of lightening or sneak up on you gradually until you finally notice it standing there in the sunlight. Love is magical, but it is not unique. It is a commonplace miracle that happens to people everyday. There is always hope for those who have loved and lost.

Well, that's all I've got. Check out what the others have to say on this topic. Silk, Ally, and Theresa have got the question covered for the Divas and The Man (currently the only Gent in the Men's Club) Jamesyboy has also posted.

Go forth.
posted by Phoenix | 9:04 PM


>1 Comments:

At 5:20 AM, Blogger Theresa said...

I agree. Nice to find that wonderful, mature love, isn't it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Poetry:


Popular Posts:


Fiction:

divas


mensclub


divaettes


fighting 101s