Thursday, September 21, 2006
To Mix, or Not to Mix
That is the question.

Cookie Season is fast approaching and I find myself in a bit of a pickle. Every year the list of cookie recipients grows and every year I have to start earlier to get all of my cookies delivered by Pearl Harbor Day. I have the essential tools: air bake cookie sheets, premium spices, Mexican vanilla, and a Kitchenaid mixer.

The mixer was a gift from my father several years ago. And, it has worked very well over the years. I remember when my father ordered it for me, he urged me to get the biggest one they had. Unfortunately, I didn't heed his advice.

Instead, I opted for the standard-size model and figured it would be more than I'd ever need.

I couldn't have been more wrong. Last year I baked somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 batches of cookies and expect to increase that again this year. That old mixer isn't going to get it done, I'm afraid.

I need more power. I need more capacity. I need a bigger mixer!

Fortunately, my father wants to buy me a bigger one. Hurray for me!

The problem is, now I'm concerned that I won't choose a big enough model to give me room to grow.

As it is, I'm already going to have issues with a new mixer. For one thing, it isn't going to fit under my cabinets, dropped as they were to accomodate my lack of height. I'm going to have to adapt, as well, to the bowl-lift feature instead of the tilt-head that I'm used to. But those are minor issues.

I'm more concerned with whether I should go for the 12-cup flour power rated Professional 5 Plus Series or the 14-cup flour power rated Professional 600 series. There is a one-quart difference in bowl size, but a seemingly big difference in power. The 5 Plus series runs on a 450-watt motor while the 600 Series runs a 575-watt motor.

What do you think?
posted by Phoenix | 11:31 AM


>2 Comments:

At 2:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you need to send me your old mixer!

; )

All I have ever had are hand-held ones, so I can't help you there.

Yay for Dad!

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger Shana said...

Speaking from experience, don't continue with Kitchenaid. While they are a decent company and their mixers work well for small batches, they just don't have the power. I am eyeing up a Delonghi myself. The online reviews outshine Kitchenaids any day.

http://www.kitchenshop.com/catalog/DSM-800.shtml

Comparable in price to Kitchenaid, this thing can do more than twice the work without breaking a sweat, so they say. This is what I will be buying come tax season.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Poetry:


Popular Posts:


Fiction:

divas


mensclub


divaettes


fighting 101s