Tuesday, October 03, 2006
Stomping Mad
Beware. I am not in a particularly friendly mood at the moment.

First, Mark Foley. I don't particularly know if what this idiot did was illegal or not, but I am very concerned. I am concerned that his prediliction for young people is a precursor to something more sinister. I find the fact that he turned himself into a detox facility when he got caught as pathetic. Of course, if it works for a Kennedy.... He seems to have acted in a creepy manner. I am astounded that it hasn't come out before now, to be honest. I don't know why those other kids or their parents from the past incidents kept quiet, but I feel that they were negligent in doing so.

Furthermore, I don't think this is a political issue. I think this is a children's safety issue. But then, I'd never send my child to Congress to fetch and carry for this group of thieves in the first place. I am sick of hearing Democrats play Gotcha and Republicans say "we knew he was friendly and we didn't want calls of homophobia raining down on our heads."

I think both parties should be able to agree that our children deserve our protection. We should teach them to stay away from people who make them uncomfortable, even in the workplace. Especially when it is discomfort in the presence of people who have power over them, like teachers, other parents, and workplace superiors. I don't care what party you are in, this isn't hard stuff to come to terms with.

Frankly, I think the people who are frothing at the mouth over this are disgusting. If it was consensual (and from the transcripts I've seen it appears that way), then it is just the age old rule of politics being played out: "Never get caught with a dead girl or a live boy." There is no doubt that Foley acted reprehensibly. He was a figure of authority who knew better than to do what he did. But then, so was President Clinton.

I don't say this to excuse the matter. Not at all. I am just as pissed off about this as I was about Clinton. I just don't get why people have to make this about politics. It seems to me that we should be able to agree about something like this.

Next issue: The school shooting in Pennsylvania.

This just makes me so angry. There is no excuse for this. None. This stupid son of a bitch killed innocent children for no apparent reason. But, not to worry, our Everybody's-a-Victim society will be sure to find some reason to explain his actions. Already we know he was an "excellent father" and "loving, supportive, and thoughtful." His actions, in my mind, argue otherwise.

Do not kid yourself, this act was premeditated. He brought multiple weapons with him. He chose a school with no security. He brought stuff to tie up the girls. For heaven's sake, he brought toilet paper! If that isn't premediatation, I don't know what is.

The news accounts indicate that he left several notes for his wife. Suicide notes explaining he was seeking revenge for something that happened 20 years ago. I'm calling BULLSHIT. It isn't "revenge" for something that happened 20 years ago. His victims were not alive 20 years ago. They didn't hurt him. Moreover, whatever happened to him 20 years ago can't have been all that bad. For one thing, he survived it! These little girls don't look to be so lucky.

I had a conversation with someone yesterday about this incident, as the story was unfolding and I pointed out the fact that this stuff has got to stop. I don't think people should take out other people with them when they commit suicide. I think people who commit suicide by cop are the very worst sort. You can't take it? Find some way to off yourself in your sleep. Don't take out 5 little Amish schoolgirls on your way. Jackass.

This person I was talking to seemed upset that I would say such a thing. This person made excuses for the person saying he must be crazy. I didn't buy it and said as much. Granted, the news was still rolling in on the story, but I didn't feel like that was an excuse.

The whole point, I was told, is that a crazy person's actions don't make sense.

But this person wasn't crazy. From all accounts he had a lucid morning, walked his kids to the bus stop, and then went and terrorized these girls. He had enough presence of mind to plan his actions and write a note to his wife explaining.

Nobody has claimed that he told them "the voices" made him do it. Nobody has claimed that he has never been "right" since his abduction by aliens. Oh no. Instead they are saying the death of his daughter in 1997 may have been a stressor. While I'm sure that the death of a child is a significant horror, it happened in 1997. Nearly 10 years ago! If he was still struggling with it, he could have gotten help. But media reports also blame some incident from 20 years ago, when the guy must have been about 12 years old.

Fine. If you are so desperate to find some psychological excuse for his actions, I can't argue with that. I personally find it abhorrent, however. We shouldn't be so quick to find excuses. Excuses, afterall, are not going to change anything for the families of his victims.

Update: Now the MSM is reporting that the Pennsylvania gunman told his wife that he molested someone 20 years ago. So, let me get this straight, you get revenge for a crime you committed against someone 20 years ago, by killing innocent children now? That doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
posted by Phoenix | 9:09 AM


>0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Poetry:


Popular Posts:


Fiction:

divas


mensclub


divaettes


fighting 101s