Wednesday, November 01, 2006
Gift Horses and All That
You've heard the old adage I'm sure: Never look a gift horse in the mouth.

I personally don't think this is very sound advice.

I mean, sure, if your neighbor brings you cookies for your birthday or a holiday or as a thank you it would be churlish to question their motives. On the other hand, it is just good policy in general to look gift horses in the mouth.

It would have done the Trojans a world of good, if you know what I mean.

Maybe I'm a cynic, but I think that in these times it is only wise to look a gift horse in the mouth.

For example, why all of a sudden, after soooo much protestation, and demands of unilateral talks with the US, has the DPRK agreed to return to 6-party talks...just after they've tested their first nuke? Hmmm?

And why in the world would a career politician make such a tremendous gaffe as John Kerry did yesterday? Could it have been on purpose? It is my understanding that Phil Angelides, the candidate for Governor that Kerry was stumping for when he made the offensive blunder, is trailing behind Schwarzenegger in the polls. One might wonder if there is a darker conspiracy afoot here. Did Kerry do this to throw the election to the Republicans everywhere else in the country but play to the Far Left in California who hate the troops and want peace, love, and free sex with their granola in the morning? I mean, did he say this to appease the Loons and help dash Democratic gains elsewhere in the country hoping that two more years of Republican control of Congress would mean a Democrat in the Whitehouse in 2008? See, I can come up with a conspiracy theory if I try. Everybody thinks that Karl Rove is a mastermind. Step off, Karl, here comes Jonny-boy. Wicked evil genius!

Or, consider the gift horse of the very very late apology. I once had a boyfriend call me 8 years later to offer an apology for the way that he ended our engagement. Was it an apology? Or, was it a wishful booty call disguised as a very late and repentant apology?

Or, consider the soon-to-be-ex-husband who starts being awfully nice...question the motives folks, that's all I'm saying.

Look that gift horse in the mouth. You know you want to.

Labels:

posted by Phoenix | 8:58 AM


>0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Poetry:


Popular Posts:


Fiction:

divas


mensclub


divaettes


fighting 101s