Thursday, March 27, 2008
Why won't you listen to me?
Yesterday, I had to give blood for a retest to make sure my dosage of a prescription is correct.

I didn't have to see the doctor or get undressed, I merely needed to give a blood sample.

And, I honestly expected it to not take more than 5 minutes.

Alas, I was wrong.

I got to the lab and the nurse told me to have a seat. I then explained to her that they always take the blood out of my hand. Nobody can ever find my veins in my arm - I am accostomed to this and always give the nurse/lab tech a head's up. Most of them say "okay" and grab the butterfly. And then, zipideedodah, we are done.

This nurse, however, decided to disregard my warning. She spent three or four minutes - per arm - poke poke poking and prod prod prodding, slap slap slapping while I pump pump pumped my fist. All to no avail.

Much as I had warned her, I might add.

"Well, I guess we'll have to take it from the hand then..."

No shit, Sherlock.

Now, I don't enjoy giving blood to begin with, and maybe this nurse was new, I don't know. I do know, however, that it hurt like a bitch when she let the needle jump up and create a tent under my skin...

Really glad that's over with and done.
posted by Phoenix | 11:27 AM


>2 Comments:

At 6:51 PM, Blogger Caltechgirl said...

For future reference, professional standards for phlebotomists dictate that any individual CAN NOT make more than 3 atttempts to draw you, and that if you tell them where to stick you, they have to try it there. One of my closest colleagues is a Phlebotomy instructor, and we were discussing this recently.

And really if you don't like the person's attitude, ask for a different person. There's always someone else available, which is another professional standard.

I am a difficult draw too, I bleed from a bizarre place in my left forearm, and only with a pediatric sized butterfly, so I've taken quite an interest in the whole business.

 
At 12:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

PREACH IT, SISTER!

Hope the bruise has dissipated. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Poetry:


Popular Posts:


Fiction:

divas


mensclub


divaettes


fighting 101s