Friday, April 04, 2008
Obama Against Concealed Carry
Check out this article.


"I am not in favor of concealed weapons," Obama said. "I think that creates a potential atmosphere where more innocent people could (get shot during)altercations."


Egad. This is just stupid.

Do you know how many states have concealed carry laws on the books? Take a gander at the map below. Source here.

Thirty-six states have concealed carry licensing for law-abiding citizens. If concealed carry really lead to the sort of danger that Obama alludes to, it would be all over the national news. Headlines would practically scream about licensed concealed carry gunowners going postal on the highways, in parking lots, grocery stores, etc. But the fact is, that simply doesn't happen. Statistics prove that. Check this out.

In 2005 RTC states had lower violent crime rates, on average, compared to the rest of the country (total violent crime by 22%; murder, 30%; robbery, 46%; and aggravated assault, 12%) and included the seven states with the lowest total violent crime rates, and 11 of the 12 states with the lowest murder rates.

...

Studying crime trends in every county in the U.S., John Lott and David Mustard found, “allowing citizens to carry concealed weapons deters violent crimes and it appears to produce no increase in accidental deaths. If those states which did not have Right to Carry concealed gun provisions had adopted them in 1992, approximately 1,570 murders; 4,177 rapes; and over 60,000 aggravated assaults would have been avoided yearly....[W]hen state concealed handgun laws went into effect in a county, murders fell by 8.5 percent, and rapes and aggravated assaults fell by 5 and 7 percent.”

...

Dave Kopel has written, “Whenever a state legislature first considers a concealed carry bill, opponents typically warn of horrible consequences....But within a year of passage, the issue usually drops off the news media’s radar screen, while gun-control advocates in the legislature conclude that the law wasn’t so bad after all.”6 A article related to Michigan’s RTC law said, “Concerns that permit holders would lose their tempers in traffic accidents have been unfounded. Worries about risks to police officers have also proved unfounded....National surveys of police show they support concealed handgun laws by a 3-1 margin....There is also not a single academic study that claims Right to Carry laws have increased state crime rates. The debate among academics has been over how large the benefits have been.”

...

More importantly, Liberals, like Barack Hussein Obama - the Senator with the most liberal voting record - forget one very important thing: criminals don't apply for concealed carry licenses, only law-abiding citizens do.

And, this is an important distinction. You and I have a natural right, a Constitutionally recognized right to protect our life, liberty, and property. Moreover, as you may or may not know, the police are not required to protect you.

In Warren v. District of Columbia (1981), the D.C. Court of Appeals ruled, “official police personnel and the government employing them are not generally liable to victims of criminal acts for failure to provide adequate police protection. . . a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular citizen.” In Bowers v. DeVito (1982), the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals ruled, “[T]here is no constitutional right to be protected by the state against being murdered by criminals or madmen.”

So apparently, according to Obama's own words, you shouldn't be protecting yourself and legally the cops don't have to. That's a fine kettle of fish, eh?

Yeah. I'm still no closer to actually voting for this Liberal. My life is still more important to me than that of my attacker. Sorry, Obama. (Well, actually, I'm not sorry. I just don't like his ridiculous positions.)



h/t: Michelle Malkin
posted by Phoenix | 10:59 AM


>2 Comments:

At 12:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The following is a letter I sent to the Mayor and members of Philadelphia City Council---regarding their push to ignore state law and enact their own set of gun laws.
==============

I have the RIGHT to protect myself and my family. I believe I will never have to use my gun but I feel much safer when traveling. Keep in mind because I passed a background check before receiving my permit I am one of the "good guys"! No amount of gun control will control crime or affect how criminals think. They don't pay attention to the law. I have traveled to your city and ALWAYS carried my firearm. Why? Your city's crime rate is out of control, and laws such as you're proposing WILL NOT reduce crime. It will just affect law abiding gun owners. Instead of passing more "feel good" legislation, you should be ordering the police department to enforce the laws that are on the books.

If you're out of touch proposal is made law I will NEVER enter your city again and I will ask, via the Internet, every gun owner in the country to do the same.

Here is something you might want to check out. It's a report on how the LACK of a firearm shattered a family.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?pagename=article&node=&contentId=A59368-2000May12¬Found=true

Your insane ideas can put us on a slippery slope and as you know history does have a tendency to repeat itself.
http://www.gadsdentimes.com/article/20080308/NEWS/803080301/1044/OPINION


After that check out this site:
http://home.pacbell.net/dragon13/reasons2own.html




Gun Control: The feeling that a woman found murdered after being stabbed and strangled in an alley is morally superior to a woman who is alive and explaining to police how her attacker got that bullet wound.

 
At 5:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a college educated, white, 31 year old male that owns a business. I carry a concealed gun at all times, 9mm Tangfoglio with a 17 round clip to be exact . I have a concealed carry license. I have never shot any one, or at any one, nor have I ever robbed any one.



I started carrying after I was robbed around 10 years ago by a criminal who raided my house at 3 am and held me hostage for roughly 2 hours. I did not have a gun, he did. The police caught him, he is still serving his 30 year sentence. But they never recovered any of my possessions.



Since I have started carrying I have not been robbed once. There have been a few mugging attempts and car jacking attempts, even still a few home invasion attempts, but they have all been warded off by the fact that I carry a gun. Fact is, I did not even have to point my gun in the assailants direction. They have all turned and ran when they saw me reaching for it. I would not like to know where I would be right now had I not had a concealed weapon.



I can not vote for or support any politician that supports revoking concealed carry licenses. Nor should any one. The ability to defend ones self and property is a necessity.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Poetry:


Popular Posts:


Fiction:

divas


mensclub


divaettes


fighting 101s