Tuesday, September 07, 2004
Beslan
I have not said anything yet on the recent horrors in Russia.

I suppose it is because I have felt so...saddened by the whole thing. Say what you want to say about terrorism. To me it is an evil that has no equal. However, targeting the Pentagon (a military target) and the World Trade Center (an economic and symbolic target) pales rapidly in the smoke...and the tears...and the cries...and the fears of children.

When I think of those little children, most of whom probably have no real grasp of the greater global world, and what they must have gone through, my guts wrenches and aches. I want to make the world a better place for them. And yet, there is nothing anyone can do to bring the victims back to life, nor to wash away the memories of seeing your friends and playmates gunned down. They will never forget. Their parents will never forget. And it will color the reality of their lives for ever.

The villains who did this, whatever their motivation, can not claim any moral ground whatsoever. No "freedom fighter" can legitamately target children and still claim the moral high ground. A school is peopled mostly by children. To target such a place is reprehensible and wins you no converts to your side nor your cause. I am sorry that such a horrible thing had to happen.

But if this doesn't convince people that the only course is to defeat terrorism where it lives...I don't know what will.

To all of the Russian children and their families: May you someday find the peace to put this behind you. My thoughts are with you in this time of deep, gut-twisting pain. No platitudes will ever be able to dent your grief, I am certain. The rest of the free world grieves with you.
posted by Phoenix | 5:25 PM


>0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Poetry:


Popular Posts:


Fiction:

divas


mensclub


divaettes


fighting 101s