Wednesday, September 15, 2004
More on Guns
The Emperor of the Geeks has a story to share today.

I know that I have written about it before here, but what the Emperor says is true. Unfortunately, guns are a very emotional topic for a lot of people. They seem to see death and destruction, bleeding and gore when they see a firearm. And yet, these people seem to love these images. Why else would they spend so much money to see people die in horribly spectacular ways at the cinema and watch it on tv? I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with this either. I just like to point out that the behavior that is idolized in these entertainments is far, far, far worse than the gun-associated behavior of the vast majority of gun owners.

I don't really understand it. I grew up around guns. I own a couple, as does my husband. As a matter of fact, when my father first met Prince Charming as my fiance, it wasn't two hours later that he gave Prince Charming a rifle. Why? My daddy, for all of his teachings about women can do anything men can do, blah, blah, blah, was very concerned with my safety. And apparently providing the umbrella of safety is a man's job. Whatever. The point is, that's just the way I've always known life. While it is true that a high level of responsibility goes hand-in-hand with gun ownership, the very same can and should be said of cars, knives, and a hundred other things.

But lordy, can people get ugly on this issue. When people find out that you are a member of the NRA or actually own a gun, they can get scary. Really scary. I've had people look at me like I might go postal any minute. Like I'm a wack-job bent on world domination. In reality, I'm more concerned with finding a decent pair of jeans that fit, but there you go. Until you have been indoctrinated into responsible gun safety and ownership, you might think that anyone who owns a gun is a soon-to-be-murderer. When in actuality, it is highly unlikely.

This prejudice against guns and gun owners, and make no mistake, prejudice is what it is, will only cease with education. It is the same with all prejudices.
posted by Phoenix | 6:31 AM


>0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Poetry:


Popular Posts:


Fiction:

divas


mensclub


divaettes


fighting 101s