Tuesday, August 31, 2004
Land of Logic Void
I live in Wisconsin and many things about this state annoy me. Things like how natives of this state see no need to use turn signals on highways, interstates, in town, in the country or at all really. Things like the state's propensity to tax just about everything. Things like the very real lack of customer service that is habitual here no matter where you go.

Now obviously these are my opinions based on my experiences. No doubt there are places where you can get real service here. I just haven't found them yet.

But Wisconsin is also a haven for the most liberal of views. For example, take this conversation from a dinner party hosted by Prince Charming and myself...

Phoenix: Can you believe that the concealed carry law failed in the state legislature?

Guest 1: Thank god!

Phoenix: What do you mean?

Guest 1: I don't want people carrying guns in grocery stores. The people have spoken.

Phoenix: It didn't fail because of that. It failed because the bill's own sponsor didn't have the courage of his convictions. He was the deciding vote and he didn't want to court the wrath of the governor.

Guest 1: [speechless]

Guest 2: It is completely ridiculous.

Phoenix : Yes, I think it particular cowardly. If he were my representative, I'd be making sure he wasn't reelected.

Guest 2: What are you talking about? You shouldn't be able to carry a weapon concealed. That just leads to violence. Gun owners carrying guns around town will result in more dead people in parking lots.

Phoenix: Excuse me, aren't you a hunter? Don't you hunt deer and wild turkey? Are you an anti-gun hunter? [with obvious disbelief]

Guest 2: I don't think people should be able to carry guns.

Phoenix: So, it is okay for you to carry a gun for sport to kill an animal, but not okay for me to carry one to protect my life and liberty? Is that what you are saying? I own several guns and I haven't killed anyone. Are you saying I'm a criminal?

Guest 2: [speechless]

Phoenix: I am motivated in my opinion by nearly being raped. Have you ever been a victim of violent crime? Don't you think I should be able to defend myself from my would-be murderer or rapist? What about your wife? Wouldn't you want her to be able to defend herself? What about your daughter?

Guest 2: [still speechless, but now starting to sputter]

Prince Charming: [changing subject] More potatoes? Pass the butter please.

So there you have it. In Wisconsin it is okay to carry a gun and kill defenseless animals, but not okay for me to protect my life and liberty. Don't get me wrong, I have absolutely nothing wrong with hunting. Not at all. I just think my own life is more important than sport. I won't be victimized again!
posted by Phoenix | 9:12 AM


>0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Poetry:


Popular Posts:


Fiction:

divas


mensclub


divaettes


fighting 101s