Thursday, September 30, 2004
Voting in Wisconsin
I wish I could say that this (registration may be required) comes as a surprise, but nothing could be farther from the truth.

I voted in Wisconsin for the first time two weeks ago when I voted in the Primary. I had registered to vote previously. This is not difficult as all it requires is downloading a form, completing it, and dropping it in the mail. However, and this is my bigger issue, a voter registration drive in Wisconsin is really stupid.

Why, you ask? Simple, you can register in Wisconsin right before voting. No trouble. Just show up and they'll let you vote. So the voter registration drive doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. But, what do I know?

I have bigger problems with voting in Wisconsin. When I arrived at the polling place, they asked me my name. I told them. They wrote my name down and address and handed me a ballot. They didn't ask for ID, they didn't look me in the the registration books. They couldn't even know that I am me. I found this all greatly disturbing.

I've only ever voted in Illinois before this. In Illinois you have to register, but you can do this at the DMV or online, etc. They always ask for a picture ID, they always look you up in the book. Only after you have been confirmed do you get a ballot. Now, they aren't trying to disenfranchise voters, they are simply running a tight ship. And that makes sense to me.

I think some procedural changes need to be made. For heaven's sake...this is just STUPID!
posted by Phoenix | 8:30 AM


>0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Poetry:


Popular Posts:


Fiction:

divas


mensclub


divaettes


fighting 101s