Thursday, February 23, 2006
Seeing Both Sides of the Argument
I have been reading and listening to a lot of the coverage on the Dubai Control of US Ports controversy. The problem is, I can see both sides of the argument.

On one hand, I agree that on the face of things it seems foolish to give a foreign power control over important US commerce hubs. I can see the danger in having a company, owned in part by a nation with a large Muslim population, have control over something so sensitive. However, I would suggest to you that it is foolish of us to give control over our ports to any nation, no matter how friendly! Ought not we be handling these things ourselves? Would we outsource the work of the FAA? I don't think so.

On the other hand, I can see the bigotry claims too. This is a country that has been a friend and partner in the War on Terror. I can see the value in rewarding their commitment and the strong message of friendship it sends to other Muslims. I am very aware of the whodunit of September 11, but I don't know that it is fair to punish someone because of their potential to inadvertently be taken advantage of by some sinister character with malice on his mind. It is almost unAmerican to pull this guilt-by-association crap.

I agree with the people that it seems idiotic to cede this sort of power to a foreign entity that might be susceptible to enemy infiltration. On the other hand, as an open society, we have that same problem here at home.

I don't have the answers. And I, for one, am not ashamed to admit it.
posted by Phoenix | 9:49 AM


>2 Comments:

At 2:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

But the ports in question are currently being ran by a foreign power - us :o)

 
At 2:40 PM, Blogger Phoenix said...

yes. so how can we dispute another ally taking a hand in it? The entire argument falls apart. No open society can claim that it would be free of the risk of infiltration!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Poetry:


Popular Posts:


Fiction:

divas


mensclub


divaettes


fighting 101s