Tuesday, February 14, 2006
Would You Be Mine? Or, would you rather be Hershey's and Hallmark's?
Today, on a very special episode of the Demystifying Divas and Men's Club...

The ladies and gents are taking on a very topical issue. Namely: Valentine's Day - Romantic Right On! or Corporate Con?

This, for me, is the same argument I make to those folks who loudly bemoan the commercialization of Christmas. My answer? It is what you make of it! Valentine's Day doesn't have to be just about Hallmark cards, Hershey kisses, and roses. Valentine's Day is about love. It is about showing that special person that you treasure them. Much like Christmas, Valentine's Day isn't about getting, it is about giving and sharing.

What better goal exists, I ask you, than taking one day each year to rock the world of your loved one? You have to really kick it up a notch and impress upon your special someone just how special they really are. This need not be done with diamonds, flowers, and chocolates! However appreciated these items would be, they are not required. Rather, you could make your lover's favorite meal, serve him breakfast in bed, or even have his vehicle detailed and uncluttered.

If you ask me, the reason these holidays have become so commercialized is because of people's lack of creativity and laziness. (I hold the same theory for the increasing use of gift cards at Christmas.) People are too lazy, too busy, or too unimaginative to put the thought into what would make a really exceptional gift or gesture. People stress out over this, often having anxiety fits over the desire to get the holiday in the rearview mirror. These are the Anxiety Gifters (TM). I know about this problem because I have become something of a cottage industry for gift ideas and personal shopping. I don't want to pick out your panties, but I can give you a few new ideas for gifts for your special one.

Now, I offer this valuable service for free, but where a need exists, the free market system will work to fill the need. Hershey, Hallmark, FTD, and the jewelry chains know you suck at coming up with gift ideas, so they bombard you with ideas that conveniently can be obtained at their retail locations. Can you blame these businesses for seeking to fill a need? I can't. In fact, I admire their fortitude. I just wish they would get a little more creative!

I love Valentine's Day. And that's not just because the florist just delivered three bouquets to me here at work. (My wonderful husband sent me a dozen velvety red roses for Valentine's Day, another arrangement for our wedding anniversary, and a single red rose and a balloon from my 8-week-old daughter.)

Whatever you do, reach for your honey and kiss them into oblivion today. Do something creative and memorable that will touch your special someone. Do the candy, flowers, diamonds, and card route if you must, but do it with flair! Make her go on a treasure hunt to find it or hide it in the shower so it is the first thing she sees in the morning.

But, show them you love them. And don't blame Corporate America on your inability to shop or think for yourself.

Go check out what the other Divas have to say: Theresa, Arielle, and Silk.

Get the manly point of view from The Men's Club: Jamesyboy, Mark the WitNit, Jim, and Darren.

P.S. - Happy Valentine's Day to you. I hope you get some extra special lovin' today.
posted by Phoenix | 8:22 AM


>2 Comments:

At 11:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If he washes the dinner dishes for me today, I will bow at his feet, LOL.

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger WitNit said...

You hit it right on, my dear. People's lack of creativity and laziness.

It is what you make it. Looks like so far you and I are the ones who come down really on the positive side of Valentine's day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Poetry:


Popular Posts:


Fiction:

divas


mensclub


divaettes


fighting 101s