Tuesday, April 25, 2006
Oh, how the time's have changed
Courtesy of The Llamabutchers, comes this quiz that tells you what your life would have been like in 1905.

Mine?

You are a wife of a Landowner!

- A Snapshot of your life as it might have been in 1905

Education
You'll be taught by a governess until you're 15 in the schoolroom at home. You'll be taken travelling around Europe and then you'll meet your husband during the London season.

Career Prospects
You'll come out as a debutante and be presented to the King when you're 18. You'll support your husband and spend time with the children. You'll pour scorn on female friends of yours who are becoming too political. You regard this an activity for men not women and will have no patience with the suffragette women who keep being arrested to make their points about women's rights.

Leisure Time
While in London for the season you'll spend time shopping in new department stores to buy clothes for the receptions, dinners and dances that you go to. You'll love going to the theatre, particularly to see the plays of Bernard Shaw.

Living Conditions
You'll live in the house your husband has inherited from his parents. Although the house is large it'll be filled by the ten servants, the children and the friends you have staying for weekend house parties.

Marital Relations
You'll marry your husband when you're 20 and will suspect he's not always as devoted to you as you are to him.

You know, parts of that sound really good!

I could do that private education and European travel thing pretty easily. I could even enjoy a London season. I could be a deb and wear beautiful gowns. Obviously the wife and mother part wouldn't be that much different. Shopping and going to balls, the theater, and plays could be nice. I could also handle entertaining guests for weekend house parties.

On the other hand...

Being "presented to the King" - ummm, not so much into that. Having a problem with women interested in politics and the women's suffrage movement? Totally laughable. So unlike me it is hysterically funny. I'd probably buck the system and be a "bluestocking" for sure. Ten servants? Ten? Egad. It'll be work just keeping them busy! I could live in the house my husband inherits, so long as his mother doesn't come with the deal. But if you read between the lines of that last part, namely suspecting my husband isn't as devoted to me as I am to him, that really means he's running around. I couldn't live with that.

But, you take the good with the bad, I guess.
posted by Phoenix | 1:07 PM


>1 Comments:

At 12:18 AM, Blogger bobgirrl said...

Lucky you! Mine? I'm in service. I work "extremely long hours" and "live in one gloomy room in a run-down house with your husband, children, your mother, father and brother. You'll share one smelly latrine between several families."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Poetry:


Popular Posts:


Fiction:

divas


mensclub


divaettes


fighting 101s