Thursday, March 01, 2007
Idiotic Ad Campaign
The boys should skip right over this post. That's all the warning you are going to get.



For some months now I have been irked with the ad campaign for a certain feminine hygiene product. Most specifically, I am frustrated by their entreaties of us to "Have a happy period."

I have to be honest. At that time of the month, this saccharine sentiment makes me want to hurt somebody. And no, that's not the pms talking. I feel that it is the same thing as smiling and saying, "Enjoy your rectal exam" or "Have a lovely colonscopy" or "A nice enema improves every day."

The statement is stupid. Almost as though it was written by someone who has never experienced a period. Am I wrong here?

I know what they were going for, I do. They were looking for a friendly and comforting message. Unfortunately, they've come up with something that is at best sarcastic and at worst, a bit creepy. Far better, I feel, would have been a simple message like "This too shall pass." At least that is an understanding statement. It implies that "yeah, this sucks, we know" without somehow rejoicing in the discomfort. We aren't having a baby here. It isn't beautiful.

Maybe I'm just being nuts, but I can tell you that every time I see this ad campaign it makes me want to vivisect something. I can't be the only one, either. Frankly, no message would be better than this.

Labels:

posted by Phoenix | 9:10 AM


>2 Comments:

At 11:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes! This is the most moronic thing to say for a feminine hygeine product ever. I find it especially irritating when you open the pad, and it says this on the pull off tabs. Obviously this was designed by a man in their marketing department and all the women were on vacation that week.

 
At 9:56 PM, Blogger Caltechgirl said...

happy and period are mutually exclusive, dammit.

I hate those commercials, too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Poetry:


Popular Posts:


Fiction:

divas


mensclub


divaettes


fighting 101s