Friday, November 02, 2007
Croupe? Dropsy? Consumption?
Motherhood is both heaven and hell. Sure, that sweetly smiling face is an amazing thing that will fill you with boundless joy, but when something is hurting your baby it is torture.

My baby is not feeling so good. On Wednesday morning she woke up with a small cough - a weird-sounding cough. But otherwise, she was fine. On Monday, she had woken up with some small bumps/rash on her back and legs, but I had ignored it as either an allergic reaction or a poor rinse in the laundry. As the rash/bumps didn't seem to bother her, I went about my business figuring that the rash would be gone by the end of the week. Now, fast forward back to Wedneday night.

After trick or treating, my baby had dinner and a bath, but then was acting sort of punky. She was clingy and not her usual out-going self. I didn't think much of it as there was a heck of a lot of people coming 'round the house on Wednesday night. I thought she might just be going through a shy phase.

That is, until 10:30 pm when she woke up screaming. I jumped out of bed to find my baby had a fever. I gave her some Tylenol and some juice, stripped off her clothes, and sat with her watching SpongeBob until 4 am. The cough, it turns out, was significantly worse and everytime I tried to get her vertical, she had a fit like she couldn't breathe and the barking/honking coughing would start. Basically, we watched cartoons from midnight until 4 am. That is when, thank the good Lord, she finally was able to sleep. We got another 2 hours. At 6 am she was up again with more coughing. I spoke to Prince Charming somewhere around 3 am, so the plan was set.

I would stay home with her and take her to see the doctor on Thursday and he would stay home, if need be, today.

The doctor determined that Bunny's rash, fever, and cough were croupe. Croupe. I swear to you, I thought this was one of those diseases people didn't get anymore. The doctor had never seen a rash with croupe, and thought that it was strange that the rash presented before the cough, but she determined that the rash looks viral and the cough is classic. Q.E.D.

She sent us home with instructions for rest and a humidifier in the bedroom and a scrip for some steroids to bring down the swelling. Per instructions, I gave Bunny the medicine with her supper and she...promptly puked all over me. So we took a second bath and through a stuffed toy away. I missed my supper, but once you've been puked on, you are surprisingly not hungry. She slept through the night last night, not waking until 4:30 this morning - which was close enough for me since I also got to sleep. I suspect that the humidifier is what did the trick.

Anyway, that's what I did yesterday (oh - while she napped I also baked some pumpkin bars for my wonderful husband and did the floors). I hope you had a better day.


posted by Phoenix | 9:10 AM


At 3:57 PM, Blogger Caltechgirl said...

Poor Bunny! I hope she is feeling better already.


Post a Comment

<< Home


Popular Posts:





fighting 101s