Tuesday, February 12, 2008
Clarification on Dilemma
So, a recent Anonymous commenter took issue with my recent post Dilemma posing the following question twice:

"So are you saying you would rather vote for someone you hate than someone you have a few policy differences with?"

Where to begin? First, I don't "hate" either Obama or Clinton. Hatred is a very personal thing, I think, and I've never even met either one of them. Secondly, I take issue with the presupposition that I have only a "few policy differences" with either one. I would say that the contrary is true. I have nothing but policy differences with Obama and Clinton.

I don't think raising taxes is in this country's best interests.
I don't think increasing the size of the Federal government is in anybody's best interests (save politicians).
I don't think cutting and running from Iraq is in our longterm security interests, particularly at a point when the surge is proving effective and al Qaeda is in retreat, licking their wounds.
I don't think national healthcare is in our best interests either, for the record. Oh, it sounds good, but it doesn't work for shit. Ask the Canadians and the Brits how they like waiting 10 months for surgery. No, you want a fix to that problem? Increase the supply - that's what drives costs down. Any Econ 101 student can tell you that.
National Security - I don't think we need to apologize to anyone for protecting ourselves - nor should we need to seek permission to defend ourselves or kowtow to a bunch of unelected non-American citizen bureaucrats for the right to do so.
Immigration - I think this country needs to look to self-preservation. In my opinion we are losing our sovereignty when Mexico says we don't have the right to refuse her illegal immigrants and is handing out leaflets telling her people how to sneak into the USA. It isn't right. It isn't right to give cheaters preferential treatment over those who are geographically unable to cheat and who have been waiting in line lawfully for the same privilege.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg! The issues I have with The Democratic Party platform are deep, systemic, and just about as many as there could be. In fact, I would say I am just about as diametrically opposed to the Left as I can be without actually being a Republican.

I will say it again: I AM NOT A REPUBLICAN.

That label is just a bit too...boxy. I am a free-thinking conservative. My opinions have come about as a result of my education, my up-bringing, and my own ability to ask questions and come to a reasoned conclusion. As bitchy as I can be, I am really more pragmatic and less emotional than many would give me credit for.

My previous post was in response to a personal dilemma that I am posed with. I would not support or even give my general election vote to either Clinton or Obama. However, that being said, I'm not particularly enamoured of McCain either. But, I don't really get to vote for my guy in the primary other than as a protest vote. McCain has pretty much sewn up the Republican nomination, so if I want a voice, I need to exercise my right to vote. Again: I AM NOT A REPUBLICAN. But, as a conservative, I sometimes end up voting for a Republican.

In the primary, however, Wisconsin Election Law permits me to vote in either the Democratic or Republican primary - just not both. Since McCain has all but claimed the Republican nomination, I don't see the need to vote for him (I don't like him). I also don't like Obama or Clinton, but there is still a contest in that race. It is here that my voice has the most volume. Is it wrong of me to want to use it? I am a voter. I don't look at my right to vote as a privilege - it is a requirement of good citizenship in my book. Of course, I view jury duty in the same way.

I vote in every election that I am able to do so. Rarely do I sit out an election because I see it as cowardice. So, my issue is not about hatred or minor policy issues. Loathsome as the reality is, whether the general election comes down to either Obama vs. McCain or Clinton vs. McCain, McCain will get my vote by default.

I don't like the guy, but it is like buying a pair of shoes: The Obama's and The Clintons are an uncomfortable shoe that is going to give me blisters due to the imitation leather. The McCain's will never be my favorite shoes, and they may not be leather, but they won't give me blisters or bunions.

So, will I vote in the primary? I don't know. But, if I do, it won't be for the junior senator from Illinois who can't be bothered to do the job he's got, he's so busy interviewing for his next one. I see right through him and I don't like what I see. Do I "hate" him? No. But, I also don't want him as my president either. Democracy is about choice and this is mine. The first amendment to the Constitution says that I get to exercise my opinions, voice them, so long as I don't hurt anyone. That's what I'm doing.

Clinton isn't my cup of tea, either. I don't like the way the Clinton political machine behaves. It is unscrupulous and far too many people in their circle have conveniently "committed suicide" for my tastes. I don't think her husband was a good President and I don't understand her desire to stay with him. However, that isn't what this election is about. In the end, it is really about the direction this country needs to go in the next four years. I don't think a bloated government that turns the American taxpayer into an indentured servant is a good idea. I like my freedom of choice, thank you very much.

So, there it is. I hope that gives a little more clarity to my dilemma, such as it is.
posted by Phoenix | 9:09 AM


>0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Poetry:


Popular Posts:


Fiction:

divas


mensclub


divaettes


fighting 101s