Monday, August 18, 2008
In the kitchen...
I was a baking machine over the weekend!

I got home on Friday night and began preparing dough for homemade chocolate donuts. My husband has been talking about his grandmother's chocolate donuts for five years and I finally managed to wrangle the recipe from his mother.

I let the dough rise once, punched it down, let it rise again, punched it down again, then put it in the fridge. Saturday morning, I got up at 5 am and said to my husband "it's time to make the donuts."

"You've been waiting all night to say that, haven't you?"

"Yep. How could I not?"

Anyway, I warmed up the dough with a quick knead and cut out the donuts with my brand new cutters. Then I went back to bed while the rose. We had donuts by 7 am.

I don't know. They were not fabulous. They were okay. I was hoping for a softer dough, I suppose. I'm going to keep working on it and see if I can improve them.

Saturday afternoon, while my husband was playing golf at University Ridge with some buddies, I baked two tasting cakes for a wedding. I baked a lemon poppy seed cake and filled it half with lemon curd, half with lemon buttercream. I also baked a white cake with half strawberry, half strawberry rhubarb filling.

We had the tasting yesterday afternoon and it appears that I'm goign to get the gig.

I'll be making the cake for this wedding. I'm more than a bit nervous, to be honest. I'm afraid of disappointing them! Not on flavor, but on the decorating. I'm just...nervous.

Labels:

posted by Phoenix | 10:08 AM


>0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Poetry:


Popular Posts:


Fiction:

divas


mensclub


divaettes


fighting 101s