Wednesday, January 10, 2007
UPS Sucks
That's right. I said UPS Sucks! UPS Sucks, UPS Sucks, UPS Sucks.

As many know, I bake cookies and ship them all over the country at Christmas. This year, I baked more cookies than ever before, beginning prior to Thanksgiving and finishing on December 10th.

On December 11th, I went to my local UPS Store to ship the packages. I paid dearly for it, too.

Last year (I speak of the cookies shipped for Christmas 2005), it should be noted, one of the packages had difficulty arriving. It was shipped to a small town in Pennsylvania by the name of Mountaintop. For some reason, the driver had trouble finding the equivalent of Main Street in this little town. After some work, I managed to get the directions (to friggin' Main Street) to the driver and the package was delivered 3 days late.

This year, I was again sending a package to that same town and so I wanted to make certain that there were no problems encountered.

Well, it seems that Mountaintop, PA is UPS's Brigadoon - exceptionally difficult to locate and even harder to deliver to.

This year the box, as I said, was delivered to UPS for shipment on 12/11/06. I have a printout of the tracking history and can tell you that it even left Madison, WI on that same day. On 12/14/06, it went out for delivery. However, the driver claimed an exception, saying that the address was incorrect and a corrected address was needed. I duly called UPS (because I had been tracking all of the packages sent on a daily basis 'cause I'm a control freak) to tell them, no, the address is correct. It is a business. I send him mail at that address on the freakin' main drag several times per week with no difficulties. The tracking information claimed that they were sending a postcard out requesting that the recipient contact UPS (which I found highly ironic considering they were sending a postcard to an address they claim doesn't exist).

On 12/16/06, the tracking information says that the address has been corrected (except it was never wrong) and delivery was rescheduled.

On 12/18/06, I am informed, via tracking, that the "Receiver has moved" (except he hasn't) and that they are trying to get a new address.

Later that very same day, they decide not to deliver it and instead return it to me. Gee, thanks. Thanks for all of that effort, UPS.

They initiate the return on 12/19/06 and it appears on my doorstep on 12/22/06, way too late for me to get it to the intended recipient in time for Christmas. That's right. They fiddle-farted around for 10 freakin' days. To add injury to insult, when I opened the box (which didn't look so good) the contents were in ruins. I'm talking cookie rubble here. I was embarrassed. If it had ended up with the intended recipient, I would have been mortified.

Now, lest you say I should have done a better job packing the box, let me assure you that all the boxes were carefully packaged with plenty of padding. And, the address which UPS failed to locate is a good address that does actually exist on the main drag of a small town. How do I know? Ah, this is the best part! Read on!

The recipient had been expecting these cookies. He knew they were coming and even tried to assist in the delivery by making himself available. I had to send him something and the haphazard and careless manner in which these cookies were handled and returned to me (demolished) dictated that I had to bake yet more cookies. That's right. I had to bake even more cookies. He did not get the full assortment, however, and had to settle for those that he specifically requested. This time, I shipped them using the good ol' inefficient United States Postal Service. It arrived in 2 days, intact, at the aforementioned address that UPS was unable to locate for so many days.

If you want to send a package to Brigadoon, send it by USPS, not those idiots at UPS. They've got the address, and a post office right there in town.

Now, just a bit more venting, if you don't mind. As I mentioned, I shipped the original packages through the local UPS Store. Here's what I have to say about them: They suck too. Granted, they may have tried to help me, but they were awful quick to disclaim any knowledge and pass the buck. And even that I can forgive. What I can't forgive, however, is the fact that they didn't once - NOT ONCE - return a phone call to me. And, I called them multiple times. Moreover, THEY LIED. They said that once the package was returned to me, they would arrange to have it shipped again or refund my original charge. To this date - FREAKIN' JANUARY 10 - they still haven't arranged to pick up the package and ship it again, there has been no phone call, no refund, nothing.

I asked people what I should do about this mess and they all urged me to let it go. I could have written a letter to UPS's corporate offices to express my inordinate displeasure over the entire fiasco, but instead, I chose to air my grievances here. That way, anytime anybody googles UPS, this post about how UPS Sucks will come up.

That is much better than more unreturned phone calls and a never-gonna-get-it refund or any explanations about how the mountain is too tall and the brown trucks can't get up there, or plane crashes that maroon packages on a desert isle with only a volleyball for company, or addresses that don't exist, or towns that only show up once every 100 years.

Just for the record, all the rest of the packages arrived in 2 or 3 days time. Nevertheless, UPS's inability to be better at their jobs or RETURN A FREAKIN' PHONE CALL means that next year, my cookies are shipping via FedEx or USPS.

yeah. I feel much better now.

Labels:

posted by Phoenix | 12:30 PM


>8 Comments:

At 7:06 PM, Blogger Caltechgirl said...

Agreed. I got to be quite the shipping consumer over the years I lived 3 time zones away from my whole family.

USPS does a great job and is way cheaper than any of the commercial folks. Just mark the box "fragile" and pay for the insurance and package tracking (like $3 extra per box). I NEVER had a problem with dozens and dozens of packages.

I went to UPS first, actually, and the cost was incredible considering that they weren't going to get it there any faster than the Post Office, and from then on I had no reason to go back to "Brown".

 
At 9:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't usually post but i just had to for 2 reasons;
1) I know Mountain Top, yes i really do and i have seen MUCH smaller towns. It has its very own exit off the interstae that takes you immediately into the town and you are then a stones throw from "Main Street". So i think it is REDICULOUS that UPS would have a problem finding the place. So how do i know all this? my Fiance grew up not very far from there in a smaller town and when we drive up to see his family we sometimes stop in Mountain Top.
2) I have my own problems with UPS. Yes they suck. I am still waiting for a package since Novemeber! So far they have said "No address", "No one available at residence" (even though it was stated on the package to leave if not home)we switched to my work address for redelivery and got told "Reciever asked to hold package till later date" (I did not) and finally "Are you sure the sender sent the package through us?" So if i were you I would most definately NOT let this go. I would hound UPS because that is just the kind of girl i am! I can't stand sub-par service in any form.
Wow this venting thing feels pretty good, maybe i should get my own blog instead of stealings yours! Thanks you--- :)

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger Phoenix said...

regina,

my guess is that if it felt good to rant in your comment that you should start a blog, if you think that is something you want to do.

I perhaps neglected to mention this, but I too know smaller towns. Our UPS man that comes to the farm has to drive 20 minutes away from town to find my father. That is why the whole thing struck me as ridiculous and why I called Mountaintop Ups's Brigadoon.

Thank you for your comments. It is good to know that I'm not alone on this...

 
At 1:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry about your situation. I sell holiday crafts and found a company that ships DHL and I have not had any problems even in the holiday season.

My sister used them for a freight shipment and told me to call. They have been very kind, cheap and even schedule the pickups based on my times (I have a home office).

They are called ANYFREIGHT. Number I have is 888-992-2888. Tell them Janice from Charlotte sent you, lol.

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger bar_tender56 said...

UPS has lost and/or what looks like played football with many of my packages. I always used them because there wasn't a huge price difference and they were within walking distance so I saved gas. Recently a friend told me of www.shippingsidekick.com and much to surprise UPS is quite a bit more expensive in some instances. I now compare the prices before I ship every package. UPS is amazingly worthless and I don't know how they stay in business.

 
At 10:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will never use UPS again. The drivers are very UNprofessional and discourteous.I now request FedEx when making an online purchase. Good Bye UPS! Good LUCK!

 
At 9:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

3 times in the past year I have had UPS damage my packages. They claimed I didn't package them properly, which is not true and doesn't explain how instead of a fishing rod my customer recieved an old baseball bat instead. Ridiculous. They still wouldn't accept responsibility. I have now just gotten off the phone with them. I shipped 3 large picture frames and they are claiming that 2 of them are damaged and that it's not their fault. Honestly. THey are incompetent, rude, and have terrible customer service. I will NEVER use UPS again.

 
At 12:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My wife operates a small business out of our home. UPS just leaves her packages in our lobby and I have to bring them up when I get home from work. When an important box weighing 20 lbs. arrived last week, she told our UPS guy on the intercom that she is pregnant, cannot lift anything, and asked if he would bring just that one box up to the door. He refused to bring the box up the elevator to our apartment. He said he was "busy."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Poetry:


Popular Posts:


Fiction:

divas


mensclub


divaettes


fighting 101s