Friday, November 04, 2005
Optimism Restored
About a month ago I started on a project for the neighborhood in which I live. I'm trying to extend the 35 mph speed limit on a state highway to the end of the edge of the subdivision. (Our subdivision is an expansion to the original boundaries of the village). Currently, the speed limit switches from 35 to 55 right as the houses come into view.

A large number of the homeowners had expressed this as a concern way back when I was volunteering to determine interest in a neighborhood association. And we all know how much fun I had with that nightmare. Nevertheless, I took it upon myself to look into the speed limit issue. The last thing I want to see is one of the neighborhood kids under the wheel of a semi, despite what the vicious gossips would have you believe.

So, with less than optimistic expectations, I contacted my state representative a month ago. I didn't ask him to fix it, just to tell me who to contact to find out how I might best go about getting this changed.

At the time, I expected my request for information would sit in cyberspace for 2 or 3 weeks before I got a response (this is government work, afterall). However, I got a response the very next day that my representative would take care of it for me and keep me informed. Fabulous!

But, I secretly wondered if this wasn't just a delaying tactic to make me shut up.

So on Wednesday (which was approximately 1 month after my initial inquiry) I sent a follow up email to my contact in the representative's office. And I got another immediate response.

The staffer told me he had contacted the DOT for an update but hadn't gotten a response yet. Later that same afternoon, he sent me another email informing me that the DOT had already begun work on my request.

Can you believe it?

Here is a quote from the DOT guy:
We have started on this and have completed the radar check (used to determine
current traffic speed patterns). We need to look at a few more things related to
existing geometrics, development in the area, existing access points, crash
history. I do hope to wrap this up in the next week or two.

I feel all warm inside! It is like I am actually making something happen! I have regained my optimism when it comes to politicians. I realize I'm not exactly lobbying for tougher laws for pedophiles or anything, but I'm still doing something good. Right?

Not that it will matter to certain people in the neighborhood who've already tried and convicted me for crimes against humanity as a Nazi. I imagine that they'll even try to paint this as a bad thing. Now they'll find it easier to get onto the highway since oncoming traffic will be going more slowly. Won't that be a bitch!

Sorry. My optimism over getting through the bureaucracy is tempered by the nasty things that have been said to me and about me. Although, SpySistah had some interesting suggestions on how to deal with them. Yeah, she's not CIA. Riiiiiight.

If I actually get this change accomplished, I will feel so good.

That really would be a Villains Vanquished! moment.
posted by Phoenix | 10:26 AM


>2 Comments:

At 12:49 PM, Blogger amelie said...

that's SO awesome!

 
At 7:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pay it forward, lady. It has to start somewhere. I'm so glad it began with you.

You set an example for ALL of us!!

Great job!

; )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Poetry:


Popular Posts:


Fiction:

divas


mensclub


divaettes


fighting 101s