Wednesday, August 09, 2006
Organized? Me? You have no idea...
Yesterday I had my appointment with the photographer to choose the shots I wanted from Bunny Boop's first photo shoot. I arrived early, as I always do to my appointments, with my notes and plans organized. I even had my spreadsheet ready with the picture identifiers, size, quantity, unit price, allocations, and subtotals.

I pulled it out of my black folder, the proofs and notes and spreadsheet neatly binder-clipped together, and loosened the bindings so that I could move freely through the proofs. The photographer sat down next to me and I asked him where he wanted to start.

He took one look at what I held in my hands and said, "MY GOD! You are the most organized person I've ever met!"

"I doubt that," I said dryly.

"No, really!" I passed the spreadsheet to him and he looked it over. "Everything is here. This is amazing! This will save me a lot of work. Do you want a job?"

"I doubt you could afford me," I sallied back.

Whereupon we took up the rest of the meeting. Now, understand, that these meetings usually last 30 minutes between him and his clients. We were there for a grand total of 15 minutes, and 9 were spent in idle chit-chat and pleasantries. No joke. There is no doubt in my mind that this guy does need someone like me. I have come across few artistic types in life that were organized. In my experience that creativity comes with a lot of scattered detritus, both in physical and mental clutter. Which doesn't mean that they are ineffective, just not the best at the stuff that moves business along.

For heaven's sake, I rode herd on a million details a day for 4.5 years. I've got the system down pat. But, then again, I've always been this way. I'm a planner. A goal-oriented, detail-enraptured, uber-capable, super-planner. You need to get something done? I can come up with a plan. Need to invade a country? I can come up with an itemized task list, a project calendar, budget, update reports, and list of items to pack and buy.

In the same four months I planned a wedding, moved, found a new home, found a new job, and took a two-week vacation. All of those tasks didn't just come off successfully, but very successfully. I didn't just plan and execute a wedding, I planned and executed a very glamorous, lovely event complete with 40 pounds of shrimp, an open bar, prime rib, chicken, two potatoes, and numerous other good eats and a beautiful wedding cake for the extremely reasonable price of $1200. I rock! If you need hints on how to plan a glamorous wedding on a budget, I can give you tips. Did I mention that each guest took home hand made turtles as a favor? I even had menu cards on the table. I don't just rock as a planner, I'm a goddess.

I take pride in it.

I am known for it.

I am a force of nature.

And I absolutely love it when other people identify my super powers in this area.

My stepmother relies on me. My old boss and co-workers still rely upon me, as does my current boss. I am a personal shopper and personal assistant to SpySistah. Even my husband relies upon my super organizational skills.

It is as it is.
posted by Phoenix | 9:31 AM


>3 Comments:

At 9:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will you marry me??

; )

Seriously.

Thank you for the lovely, lovely card, my friend.

Bless you.

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Phoenix said...

Somehow I think you know what I'm talking about. We are peas separated at birth from the same pod.

I, too, admire your capabilities because I recognize the work it takes. You could have written this post!

I'm glad you liked the card.

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger amelie said...

i'm in absolute and complete awe.

good God, you and chrissy ... imagine the events you could plan *together*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Poetry:


Popular Posts:


Fiction:

divas


mensclub


divaettes


fighting 101s