Wednesday, October 18, 2006
I'm back
I have returned to the land of cheese and beer. It was a very hectic trip. We were in Chicagoland on Friday, traveled to Denver on Saturday with a stop in Minneapolis/St. Paul. From Denver, we drove to the farm and arrived shortly before midnight. Saturday morning we were up and at 'em and visited with Grandma.

The news of our anticipated arrival had been shared with Grandma. I was told that this perked her up considerably. In fact, much of the family was on hand on Saturday afternoon and we had something of an impromptu party. Spirits were high and...there was pie! The wonderful wife of my cousin had prepared just what Grandma's heart desired: Coconut Cream Pie.

Grandma, having specifically requested this dessert, finally found something that would pass her lips. Those who know her wouldn't be surprised, however, as it has long been suggested that my grandmother has owed her longevity to the preserving power of sugar as it comes in the form of pie, cake, brownie, and ice cream. Of course, this sweet tooth is a family trait, but we all know where we got it.

Grandma was delighted with Bunny Boop. She called her clever and pretty. Bunny sat in Grandma's lap briefly (all either of them could take) but wouldn't hold Grandma's hand - much to Grandma's dismay.

We also visited with Grandma on Sunday for a while before we left again for Denver. This time we brought her my Chocolate Cream Pie (seriously, this recipe is FABULOUS and easy) and she again ate with (comparative) gusto.

I was told that our visit really boosted her spirits and her appetite and that she was almost an entirely different person, the change was so marked. I was just glad to have done the little I could to bring her some joy. It wasn't much, but it was what I could do and I'm glad that I did it. I wish I could have done more.

It wasn't easy for me to see her like that, to be honest. Everyone seems to have accepted the inevitable but it is harder for me. I didn't get to see her growing up as often as the rest of them and so I feel a bit cheated. She always made our time special, though. It is hard to see a fiesty woman brought to such a point. In any event, she got to see the latest great-grandchild and that means quite a lot to me.

The trip was very rough on Bunny. She got off of her schedule and her appetite fell off, but she was a pretty good girl. She missed her father greatly, even though she did get to listen to him on the phone everyday. Somehow that brought her a smile, even if she didn't quite understand it. But, it was funny to watch her try to snuggle the phone. I think she would have crawled into it if possible!

She slept through all four flights - a huge blessing, I know - but she did get cranky more than once. In fact, she threw her very first fit on Sunday and I was at a loss. It was so unlike her! I guess she is normal, afterall. That's a relief in and of itself.

The travel was uneventful, if a workout. You should have seen me schlepping through the airports of three states. I was quite a sight! Baby on hip, carseat over shoulder, diaper bag and purse over other shoulder, dragging two suitcases behind me. I no doubt looked like a refugee - a refugee from the suburbs, perhaps - but a suffering refugee nonetheless. I must have looked pitiful, because the TSA guy in charge of searching me was being extra nice.

You know how it is. I thought I was prepared, having placed all of my liquids and gells in either a Ziploc bag for inspection or in my suitcase. I forgot that I'd have to remove my shoes, though. Indeed, it was a circus. I placed my items in the plastic bins. Shoes in one bin, purse in another, diaper bag in #3, then the carseat on the belt. I then walked through the uprights with baby on hip. I thank the Lord that we didn't beep. I can only imagine what would have come next. On the other side, my friendly TSA guy took one look at me and smiled. I clearly had my hands full, I guess. He told me to take my time getting my things back together and then had to talk to me about my diaper bag and Ziploc. Apparently, at 5 am, I had missed the A&D ointment and the antibacterial no-water needed instant hand stuff. What a sweetie! He said it was no big deal.

Then, he asked me about my Ziploc. You see, I didn't know if the baby food was a solid or a liquid or solids suspended in liquid. He wasn't sure either, but assured me that I had done the right thing. Then, as I was leaving, he gave me a free Smart Cart to take to the gate. I could have kissed him! Thank you, TSA guy. You were much nicer than the bitch behind me in line who complained to you about things taking so long and the witch at the other end who so nastily told me that I was stacking things on the cart wrong. You'dve thought I was trying to smuggle something, she was so officious. TSA guy was such a pro, in fact, that he told the complainer that "we have to deal with people one-at-a-time and in a thorough manner." I would have told her that I'm the reason (apparently) that you are supposed to arrive at the airport with time to spend an hour in security, if need be. Bitch. Give me a break here, would you? I'm traveling with an infant and going to see my dying grandmother. I don't need any additional stress!

The rest of my travels were uneventful, thank goodness. I don't know if you could tell, but I was pretty keyed up as last week came to an end. Most of that is past and I'll be better as soon as I get my house back in order and go through the mountain of mail that accumulated in my absence.

More tomorrow.
posted by Phoenix | 2:39 PM


>3 Comments:

At 8:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good trip, despite all the very hard work.

Bless you!

; )

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger Caltechgirl said...

Everytime I saw a mom and baby in an airport while I was traveling this week I thought of you two. Glad to hear things went comparatively well and the travel was good.

 
At 11:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope she got the full strip search and rubber glove treatment.

I'm glad you got to make the trip, though. And I'd love to have that chocolate pie recipe!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Poetry:


Popular Posts:


Fiction:

divas


mensclub


divaettes


fighting 101s