Tuesday, August 28, 2007
I am the Queen of Meatloaf
At least, you'd think so based on the reception of the meat loaf I made Prince Charming for supper on Sunday night. He's still talking about it! Mostly he keeps pointing out that there wasn't enough of it, that the leftovers only gave him one more meal, and that a not so generous one. Whereupon I had to point out that he ate three helpings on Sunday night.

"I can't help it! It was delicious!"

"Well, I'm just sayin' - I didn't skimp - it was a full meatloaff!"

"Can we have it every week?"

I think he's blowing air up my skirt or buttering me up for something big. It wasn't that good. Of course, you can work up an appetite when you mow the lawn twice in the same day, I suppose...

Still, here's the secret of my meatloaf:

I take 1 to 1.25 lbs of ground beef and put it in a bowl. I fine-dice a third of an onion and add this to the bowl. I add half a packet of Lipton's dry onion soup mix and 1 egg. I add somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4 of a cup of Italian seasoned bread crumbs and salt and pepper. Then, I get out the Worcestershire Sauce and eyeball about 2 tsp and mush it all together in my hands. My secret ingredient is about a tablespoon of Tastefully Simple's Merlot sauce. Mix and mush, mush and mix. Add more bread crumbs or worcestershire or merlot sauce until you are satisfied. Form into a loaf shape and place on a baking sheet. Bake at 375 degrees until done. Last step: 20 minutes before the end of baking, mix 1/3 to 1/2 cup of ketchup with ~ 2 tablespoons of brown sugar and ~1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce. Pour over top of meat loaf and finish cooking. Sauce will be sort of crispy/crunchy sweet/sour. Prince Charming says it is terrific, but he'll eat raw hamburger, so...take that with a grain of salt.

Labels: ,

posted by Phoenix | 11:40 AM


>1 Comments:

At 2:38 PM, Blogger Pete Fanning said...

Oh THANK you Phoenix, for this....I have been a devout fan of meatloaf ever since the Navy turned me on to it back during my Naval Career...those cooks always impressed me as to how they could take a recipe and crank it out for 6,000 people (on an aircraft carrier)....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Poetry:


Popular Posts:


Fiction:

divas


mensclub


divaettes


fighting 101s