Thursday, December 02, 2004
Culture Schmulture
Parts of the World refer to many of us as “Cultureless Yanks,” and in my Jeep I began to ponder. What, exactly is this thing called “culture?”

The Merriam-Webster online dictionary defines “culture” as…

1 : CULTIVATION, TILLAGE2 : the act of developing the intellectual and moral faculties especially by education3 : expert care and training 4 a : enlightenment and excellence of taste acquired by intellectual and aesthetic training b : acquaintance with and taste in fine arts, humanities, and broad aspects of science as distinguished from vocational and technical skills5 a : the integrated pattern of human knowledge, belief, and behavior that depends upon man's capacity for learning and transmitting knowledge to succeeding generations b : the customary beliefs, social forms, and material traits of a racial, religious, or social group c : the set of shared attitudes, values, goals, and practices that characterizes a company or corporation6 : cultivation of living material in prepared nutrient media; also : a product of such cultivation

Now, having a BS in Agronomy and being a CCA I believe gives me the superior right to dismiss out of hand the first definition, as it is entirely not what the world is griping about. Definitions 3 and 6 are equally off-issue.

Definition #2 is interesting. It suggests that culture is the development of intellect and morals, essentially, learning to think and reason, and judge for oneself, especially as a product of education. I don't really think this is quite to the heart of the complaint either, but we are getting closer.

Definition #4 suggests that culture is enlightenment and excellence of taste as a product of training, and specifically mentions the fine arts, humanities and broad aspects of science as distinguished from vocational and technical skills. Which is somewhat subjective in that "excellence of taste" stuff. I mean, if I travel the world sampling, cataloguing, and researching beef jerky to the point that I can develop a grading scale and identify the top-notch stuff...does this mean I have gained culture in the realm of beef jerky? Or, is it as I suspect a matter of belaboring a point to the extreme to make sure it is no longer enjoyed? Who determines the excellence? It seems rather subjective.

The second part of this definition is a little more definitive. It requires a knowledge and appreciation of the fine arts, humanities, and broad aspects of science. Well, this manages to be both specific and vague. So, it seems culture requires equal exposure to Shakespeare's stage and Jim Carrey's silver-screen antics and the development of a preference. Something in the vein of, "Yes, yes, I saw Romeo and Juliet, but I prefer the comedic styling of Ace Ventura: Pet Detective."

It requires knowledge of humanities...a broad term that encompasses the miscellaneous disciplines that have no other home, eg. Anthropology. It is not that I intend to belittle these studies, merely I wish to suggest that they are so varied, one could spend one's entire life studying and never reach the end of the humanities. To take a broader approach, one could suggest that humanities are the studies of human beings. Which means that my copious notes on the bizzarro world of some families equate to study of humanities and Q.E.D. Culture. And what is this "broad aspects of science" different than the technical and vocational? I'm not sure I understand what they mean. Is this the understanding and appreciation that man has traveled to the moon, but not the knowledge of those messy boosters, seals, and g-force? I'm at a loss.

Definition # 5A seems to speak to a generational learning which does not seem to address the issue. Definition 5B is something a population vaguely assigns to itself. This would suggest that Americans have their own culture, and are not necessarily beholden to that of our European brethren. Definition 5C seems to water down to how one does business.

All of which I suggest you roll up in a big burrito. Culture is, in my humble opinion, what you make of it. It is exposing yourself to the possibilities and the self-determination of your preferences.

I've tasted all the colas, but I prefer Coke. I've eaten all the meats, but I prefer beef. I've traveled in Germany and Mexico extensively but have no desire to go back. I've read Shakespeare and Chaucer, but prefer J.K. Rowling and Diane Mott Davidson. I've tasted fine wines...you can have them. I prefer Captain Morgan. I've tasted Dom, I prefer Korbel's pink champagne. I've slept in all sorts of sheets...I prefer a very high thread count. I've cooked with all sorts of Cinnamon, but I prefer Chinese Cassia. I prefer Mexican vanilla to that of the rest of the world. I prefer Mexican food cooked in the Southwest to that to be found in the frozen north. I find the food I've eaten in Mexico to be far inferior in quality to both of these. I prefer Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice to Emma and don't care a bit for Wuthering Heights. I love candlelight and enjoy most musical formats (except rap--I hate that crap).

I've studied, I've traveled. I've become educated and identified my preferences. I know history, I've studied man, and I've done quite a bit of self discovery. What makes me uncultured? Is it that I don't chainsmoke in a beret on a greasy street in Paris? Be honest. Is it my unrelenting standards of personal hygiene? Is it that my country is only a little over 200 years old? What?

I tell you there is nothing to this "cultureless Yank" crap except a need to feel superior in some way. They can't beat us economically, in industry, in firepower, ...you see what I mean. So they cling to their superiority and despise us for liking who we are. You know what, I'm not going to change my preferences and don some European Pretensions just to play nice with the neighbors.

I like me. I like us. And that is good enough for me.
posted by Phoenix | 2:46 PM


>0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Poetry:


Popular Posts:


Fiction:

divas


mensclub


divaettes


fighting 101s