Wednesday, April 27, 2005
Somebody explain the logic to me
Congress tells you that Social Security should not be your only retirement plan. They remind us that it is a stop gap and was never intended to fully provide for you in your twilight years.

So, on one hand they say that it is not going to give you enough, and then? Then they tell you that you little people can't be trusted to invest any part of it on your own. In summary, they say: it won't be enough, but you can't do anything to increase it.

Well isn't that a fine how-do-you-do?

I find their supercilious "we know better than thou" attitude to be incredibly offensive. They can't keep to a budget, but I balance my checkbook every month and never run in the red. They bicker and fight like a bunch of 4-year-olds, but the only time I ever run into conflict it at least reaches high school girl level and is usually limited by my foe's intellect, not mine. They run into scandals over their behavior all the time. I don't cheat on my taxes or my husband, and am pretty honest all the way around. They act like petty drama queens, I am a professional. And most importantly...if I can be trusted to vote, to drink, be old enough to serve in this country's army and die for our ideals, raise children, own a handgun, and handle Restricted Use Pesticides...don't you think maybe I can make a determination about my own retirement plans?

Ah - you see how little they trust me? No wonder. If it was up to me they'd all have to get real jobs and work for a living!

It is just so insulting! Social Security is little more than a Federal Pyramid Scheme. The people at the bottom (that's you and me) fund the cats on top. In principle, it sucks. I'm not working for my retirement, I'm working for Grandpa Joe and your Auntie Mame. It isn't for me. Nobody in my generation believes there will be anything left in the cough "lockbox" cough. It is insulting that Congress keeps pushing the lies. And John Kerry, my favorite whipping boy? He insists that there is no urgency in the same breath that he speaks about the direness of the insolvency.

The man talks out of both sides of his ass. And both sides are still lying.

It wouldn't have to be mandatory, but a voluntary program where you got to invest some fraction of your contributions to someplace other than the Federal Amway Boondoggle might go a long way toward averting the day when Gen X takes over Congress and we decide to let y'all rot in your Lazyboys.

'Cause that's how I'd vote today!

Labels:

posted by Phoenix | 9:38 AM


>0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Poetry:


Popular Posts:


Fiction:

divas


mensclub


divaettes


fighting 101s