Friday, January 11, 2008
Privilege Meme
The gist behind this meme appears to be some sort of inquiry into privilege. It requires me to point out the original source based on copyright - that is below. The items that apply to me have been bolded.

Legal Crappola:
Premise: bold each of the statements that applies.
Original source: The list is based on an exercise developed by Will Barratt, Meagan Cahill, Angie Carlen, Minnette Huck, Drew Lurker, Stacy Ploskonka at Illinois State University. The exercise developers ask that if you participate in this blog game, you acknowledge their copyright.

Father went to college
Father finished college
Mother went to college
Mother finished college
Have any relative who is an attorney, physician, or professor - I have a cousin who is a professor.
Were the same or higher class than your high school teachers
Had more than 50 books in your childhood home - a whole family of book lovers, book hoarders, even.
Had more than 500 books in your childhood home
Were read children's books by a parent - this is the best way to read a story - out loud.
Had lessons of any kind before you turned 18 - ballet
Had more than two kinds of lessons before you turned 18 - and tap, violin, baton, cheerleading...
The people in the media who dress and talk like me are portrayed positively - I don't see a lot of people like me on tv, with the possible exception of the ladies on Cashmere Mafia, and they are only similar.
Had a credit card with your name on it before you turned 18 - I had a checking account at the age of 12, I think, could have been 14, and it was a great way to learn about money. I had a credit card when I was 17, I think, and 2 at 18.
Your parents (or a trust) paid for the majority of your college costs - My education was paid for in part by a sort of trust and also in part by my hard work. I worked on the family farm every summer from the time I was 5 (making beds) until I was done with college.
Your parents (or a trust) paid for all of your college costs - I'm going to count this one because although I worked for it, I did graduate without any debt (no school loans, etc)
Went to a private high school - Oh, please! I'm a public school kid.
Went to summer camp - not even close, unless there is a camp called "Wheat Harvest - Truck Driving and Tractor Work for Fun"
Had a private tutor before you turned 18 (I never needed a steenking tutor, though I did volunteer as a tutor for the football team in college.)
Family vacations involved staying at hotels - my mom usually went on vacation without us. As a child of divorce, my vacations were usually spent with my dad on the farm. Though I did travel to Germany, Hawaii, Cancun, and Peurto Vallarta with my family on vacation
Your clothing was all bought new before you turned 18 - I had plenty of hand-me-downs
Your parents bought you a car that was not a hand-me-down from them - Wrong - I bought my first car - but my mom bought the second one...
There was original art in your house when you were a child
Had a phone in your room before you turned 18 - To preserve my step-father's sanity...
You and your family lived in a single family house
Your parent(s) owned their own house or apartment before you left home
You had your own room as a child
Participated in an SAT/ACT prep course - I didn't take a course, but I did take the PSAT...
Had your own TV in your room in High School
Owned a mutual fund or IRA in High School or College
Flew anywhere on a commercial airline before you turned 16 - 16? 16? My dad had his pilot's license - I was flying when I was in diapers and flying as an unaccompanied minor (with the little SpySistah) at the age of 8 at least.
Went on a cruise with your family
Went on more than one cruise with your family
Your parents took you to museums and art galleries as you grew up - Lot of museums...
You were unaware of how much heating bills were for your family

There you go. From looking at that I probably qualify as a spoiled brat...

Labels:

posted by Phoenix | 11:42 AM


>0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Poetry:


Popular Posts:


Fiction:

divas


mensclub


divaettes


fighting 101s