Friday, February 22, 2008
Rude or Not?
I was in line at the grocery store the other day, just picking up a few things on my way home. I was behind a lady who realized as the cashier gave her the total for her own order that she had accidentally left her wallet in her car. She ran out to the car to retrieve it and eventually returned. When she did so, she realized she didn't have enough cash on her to cover the bill. She had the cashier take a few items back and then proceeded on her way.

As this was happening, I was having an internally argument with myself. I don't know the lady - complete stranger - but I wanted to offer her the money to cover the tab. We're talking about less than $5.00 here, not a big deal. But she seemed embarassed and I was afraid that my offer would push her into mortification. In the end, I erred on the side of caution and kept my mouth shut. If I had seen any suggestion that she was a mother or otherwise, I probably would have made the offer.

Is that weird? Maybe. I just think that mother-to-mother, an offer of assistance is not a big deal. On the other hand, maybe I should have offered anyway. I don't know. I don't want to be rude or put her in an awkward position, what would you do?

For the record, the items that she gave back were a fancy head of lettuce (not iceberg) and a bottle of salad dressing. I think more than anything that this is what decided it for me. Had she been questioning whether to put milk or baby food or bread back, I think I would have stepped in and made the offer.

I don't know. What is the etiquette here?
What would you have done?

Labels:

posted by Phoenix | 9:23 AM


>1 Comments:

At 12:41 PM, Blogger The Bobo Knitter said...

I would likely have done the same.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Poetry:


Popular Posts:


Fiction:

divas


mensclub


divaettes


fighting 101s