Wednesday, September 09, 2009
Yep, that just about says it
So, here's a little anecdote that sheds significant light on who I am...

Yesterday, Bunny Boop and I are doing our normal thing. She's kicking around playing and I'm trying to start supper and straighten up around the house. Quelle suprise! There's a knock on the door.

I am reluctant to open the door to uninvited guests, but it was still daylight, so I figured, what the hey...

There is a man on my front porch dressed as a police officer, but no patrol car in the driveway or visible on the street. Okay.

He informs me that there was a break-in in the neighborhood last week and that the department is trying to canvas the area for any information.

Was I home last Thursday afternoon? What time do I get home from work?

So, after explaining that, gee, I don't get home until after 4 pm and most of the living space in the house is not street-side and my husband works nights, I start kicking myself. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Am I sure this guy is who he says he is? So, I just plunge in and ask him for his badge number, name, etc. I explain that I'm a bit nervous since I can't see his patrol car and I just told him when I get home and that we are frequently alone.

He left his car at the end of the street and, what do you know, he's been passing out cards all day and is fresh out. But, he told me that it was wise of me to be cautious and wrote down his contact information for me and showed me his employee ID that gets him in/out of the precinct.

So, I felt sufficiently relieved. (Not to mention the handgun I keep for rough men with bad intentions.) But, he points out to me that I'm the only person he's talked to all day that asked him any questions or sought to clarify that he was who he said he was.

Mind blowing.

An entire neighborhood of adults with children and they are all just taking at face value that the blue uniform is all they need to know. Some of them might have been able to see the squad car, so maybe that's okay. And, it is a smallish town (not as small as where I'm from, but whatever), so maybe some of them already knew him. But, it still surprises me that I was the only person that asked for his credentials.

Sheeple. Just so you know, I don't blindly follow anyone coughObamacough or blindly accept anything on faith. I use my best judgement, reasoning, and in the event I need to, defend myself to my last breath.

Wolves, there are easier targets, keep on moving.

I swear, you can take the Type A girl out of the office, but you can't take the Type A out of her.
posted by Phoenix | 11:38 AM


>0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Poetry:


Popular Posts:


Fiction:

divas


mensclub


divaettes


fighting 101s