Wednesday, September 01, 2004
The Terminator Speaks
I didn't feel qualified to speak about the Democratic National Convention. I was unable to watch more than 5 minutes before feeling ill and needing to change the channel. So I watched a total of 15 minutes over three days...therefore unqualified to offer any commentary.

But I did watch the Republican National Convention last night. I thought the Governor of California gave a great speech. I hadn't ever seen him do any public speaking on a real issue. I thought he did very well. I feel that he appealed to the undecideds and the closet republicans who disagree with Dubya's faith issues, you know, his faith-based agenda. I liked what he had to say about respectfully disagreeing on some issues while knowing we all stand together on the major issue. If I had needed convincing, this would have done it for me. Arnold's litmus test:

"If you believe that government should be accountable to the people, not the people to the government...then you are a Republican! If you believe a person should be treated as an individual, not as a member of an interest group... then you are a Republican! If you believe your family knows how to spend your money better than the government does... then you are a Republican! If you believe our educational system should be held accountable for the progress of our children ... then you are a Republican! If you believe this country, not the United Nations is the best hope of democracy in the world ... then you are a Republican! And, ladies and gentlemen ...if you believe we must be fierce and relentless and terminate terrorism ... then you are a Republican!"

He also made a point that I often find myself making about leadership. Usually my arguments were about business leadership, but they are no less true in the political realm.

"The President didn't go into Iraq because the polls told him it was popular. As a matter of fact, the polls said just the opposite. But leadership isn't about polls. It's about making decisions you think are right and then standing behind those decisions. That's why America is safer with George W. Bush as President."

Well said.

I thought the Bush twins did okay. Jenna is a better public speaker and looked more comfortable than Barb. I disagreed with the talking heads that they came off as ditzy. I didn't think so at all. As a matter of fact, that picture circulating the web of the Kerry girls at the VMA's where one is trying to shush the crowd is far more ridiculous. Politics and rock don't mix well. But that is me. I thought Laura was okay. She said what I expected her to say. I also disagreed with the talking heads who said that Laura and the twins had no business on stage. I see too much of the strong unflinching guy day to day and liked the reminder that he is a husband and father.

However, I would have liked to see Guiliani and McCain speak. The Monday night speeches got no play here. In particular, I would have liked to hear Guiliani. I would have moved him to Tuesday and moved Laura and the twins to Thursday to open for Dubya. But they didn't call me for advice.
posted by Phoenix | 7:33 AM


>0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Poetry:


Popular Posts:


Fiction:

divas


mensclub


divaettes


fighting 101s