Monday, December 06, 2004
Weirdness and Party Crashers
Rant #1: My Rude Party Crasher.

This weekend Prince Charming and I had an invitation-only party. It was great fun and everybody had a blast. The party started at 7 pm and the last guests left at 2:30 am. Lots of liquor and food was enjoyed. The conversation was intelligent, funny, and stimulating. There was a bit of weirdness though.

About 2 hours into the party, the doorbell rang and I went to answer it. I thought perhaps it was a guest arriving late. (We had an RSVP who didn't show. See Rant #2 on RSVPs.) When I got to the door I was somewhat surprised to find a young woman in slippers and...let's just call it very casual attire. She said, "I'm here for John and Mary."

"Come on in," I said. She looked like the babysitter, maybe there was an emergency at home, I thought. Although, the two six-packs she was carrying seemed a bit odd for that explanation. She went in and found John and Mary. I figured she could let herself out, at the very least it was not my affair to intrude upon. 15 minutes later I notice that is still present. I walk toward the kitchen where she is standing with John and Mary. She seems to be urging Mary to leave and still has her booze under her arm. Mary seems to be discussing with John, she wants to depart. John apparently doesn't want to leave and indicates Mary can leave without him. However, it doesn't appear that Mary wants to leave without John. 20 minutes of cajoling on the part of our sloppy slipper wearer yields nothing. She leaves without John or Mary, but takes her beer of course.

I think the strange interlude is over until an hour later when the doorbell rings again. This time I figure it probably isn't a late arrival and we aren't making that much noise so it isn't the cops. Despite this, I was still surprised to see the sloppy slipper wearer back on my front porch. Only this time, she wasn't alone. "This is my mother," she said by way of introduction, "we're here for John and Mary."

"Okay," I said. I was a bit peeved though. My home is not a cat house, with people coming and going at odd times without introduction. And, I thought it pretty shabby of them not to remove their shoes, even if they were slippers. She was sullying my floors with her dirty soles.

Rude slipper wearer and her mother stay for 30 minutes or so. The whole while they are attempting to get John and Mary to leave with them. As I walk by at one point, I find that John still doesn't wish to leave and Mary still doesn't want to leave without him. Once again our mysterious party crashers leave empty-handed. However, before she departs she makes certain to make several crass comments about bodily functions and manages to catch the attention of the entire assembled guest list. Her comments were distinctly un-ladylike, and I was a bit embarrassed.

A little while later I am talking with Mary and ask her casually about the strange slipper wearing visitor and her mother. Here's the story. Her name is Melissa. She is John and Mary's neighbor on the other side. She wanted John and Mary to leave my party and come over to her house. Her mother was visiting from up north.

Am I the only one that sees this as both weird and rude? This woman crashes my party and doesn't bother to dress for the occassion, with the nefarious intent of stealing away my guests. Why? She needs supervision for her visit with her mother. Now clearly her bringing her own booze indicates premeditation. She had full knowledge of where John and Mary were and came with the intent of luring them away. When initial attempts failed, she brought reinforcements in the guise of her mother.

What does it say about someone who is so desperate for attention that they crash a party and attempt to get guests to leave? Failing the first time, what does it say about this person when they rearm and get another party crasher to join the effort to inveigle the invited party guests away? What does it say that this person, so strangely dressed and not joining the party but clinging to the hem of her target's dress, then leaves but not before making a few crass and lewd comments.

I think this woman is demented. She is rude. And offensive. I do not wish to have her in my home ever again.

Of course, I could be over-reacting.
posted by Phoenix | 9:46 AM


>0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Poetry:


Popular Posts:


Fiction:

divas


mensclub


divaettes


fighting 101s