Tuesday, May 17, 2005
Talk to me, Harry Winston, tell me all about it!
This week the Disarming, Delectable, and Desirable Divas are discussing why women are fascinated by jewelry and I have been asked to chime in with my two carats. (And I must say, that I am honored to have been included.) The Mighty Men’s Club members have also spoken on the matter.

First off, though, the fact of the matter is that this is a stereotype. I know lots of women who aren’t keen on the bling-bling. Whether they are intimidated by having that sort of valuable ornamentation around to potentially lose or are merely uncomfortable wearing it depends on the woman. There may even be other reasons. I’m not sure. But, I would urge the gentleman to ascertain whether or not his lady likes the sparkle before he invests, because any woman with a heart will wear what her true love bestows on her, whether she cares for it or not.

That being said, I must admit that I fit the stereotype. I love jewelry! I’m just like Lorelei Lee – “I just adore finding new places to wear diamonds.” All the best gifts really do come in the smallest packages! I’m not talking about that costume crap – as far as I’m concerned that stuff is for little girls playing dress-up. I want quality. I want shine and sparkle. I want carats and total weight.

I was raised that way. My step-mother, bless her soul, instilled in my sister and me at a very young age the love for jewels. She would take us to our local jewelers in Garden City, KS – Reagan’s – and we would spend hours looking and shopping. She would show us her jewelry boxes and we would ooh and ah over the diamonds, emeralds, rubies, London Blue topaz, and the citrine. She had so much that it was a real treasure trove and a delight for two young girls. Pearls and precious gems still spill from her jewelry boxes in every color imaginable. Moreover, we learned the beauty of a well-crafted setting. The boys at Reagan’s are true artistes and are eager to please a good customer. My step-mother and father are very good customers. They have shown me jewels I’ve never seen elsewhere. I’ve actually seen a brown diamond – have you?

It was at my step-mother’s direction that we learned about pearls and gems. We learned the 4 C’s – Cut, Color, Clarity, and Carat weight – of diamonds. We learned to distinguish real pearls from faux, a loose setting, and what appeals to us.

This education has always served me well. I’ll never wonder if a jeweler is cheating me, because I talk the talk and walk the walk. I will never shy away from buying jewelry because I can do so with a confidence I lack when buying a used car.

I am not just fascinated with jewelry; I have an appreciation for it. I appreciate the way it comes to me, nestled by quality woods and leathers or silks and velvets. I appreciate the way it sparkles when the light hits it. Mostly, I appreciate the way it makes me feel. It makes me feel beautiful and worthy. It makes me feel cherished and valued. Hell, I just like to wear it. It makes me feel pretty. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Personally, I am a diamonds and pearls kind of girl. My lifestyle is not such that I often wear gowns of taffeta, silk, and velvet. I am not a flittering debutante or movie star. I may be wearing jeans, but you can be sure that I will be wearing a diamond bracelet, my diamond stud earrings, my wedding set, and another diamond ring on my right hand. On the average day, I am wearing at least 4 carats total weight. That isn’t too much, either. I could always use more diamonds. They are my nod to my femininity, my daily princess moment.

As much as I love my diamonds (and I really really do), I have an equal love for my pearls. I have a perfect graduated strand that was a gift for my high school graduation. They are so soft and pink, cool to the touch, and smooth. They are graceful and ladylike and impart upon me those same qualities when I don them.

Why are women fascinated by jewelry? Society teaches us to be so by placing emphasis on these things. Our mothers teach us the appreciation when they loan us their best pieces for special occasions. But mostly, we are fascinated because we love to feel special and that is how they make us feel: loved, beautiful, cherished, and treasured beyond measure.
posted by Phoenix | 6:41 AM


>3 Comments:

At 7:03 AM, Blogger Feisty said...

Oh, Phoenix!

Very well done!

Delighted you joined us this week.

; )

 
At 7:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fabulous! A sparkling diva indeed!

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger WitNit said...

I've always counted myself lucky that my wife has little interest in jewelry. She does like watches, though, so I am always on the lookout for unusual watches.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Poetry:


Popular Posts:


Fiction:

divas


mensclub


divaettes


fighting 101s