Tuesday, June 07, 2005
J.K. Rowling's Bigger Contribution
Mark had a comment about my recent post about the upcoming release of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. I started to reply to his comment, then realized I had more than a little to say on the matter.

Mark asserted that "JK Rowling is almost single-handedly bringing back literacy to the planet."

And, to a certain extent, this is true. Certainly she has managed to capture the imaginations of the world's youth and inspired a new generation of readers. To me, this makes her more deserving of a Nobel Peace Prize than many of the past recipients. Really!

In this age of instant gratification, where children are constantly plugged in to some electronic gadget or another, inspiring children to unplug and open a book is a real achievement. Think about it. Television, ipods, gameboys, xbox, dvd, computers, our children have their own electronic fields!

JK Rowling and the world of Harry Potter get a lot of crap from those not-in-the-know for being about "witchcraft," "black magic," and worse. But, in actuality, the stories always ALWAYS stress positive lessons. The major theme in the series is choosing to do what is right, not what is easy. For children, this is an imperative lesson that must be taught if we are to raise fine young people of courage. Even the Pope has gotten on the bandwagon and branded the novels as heresy and un-Christian.

Anybody who has ever actually read the books knows differently. In actuality, Harry Potter's world is really all about facing the ultimate evil. If one insists upon painting the stories in a biblical retrospect (a parallel I despise, but will participate in only for the purposes of pointing ou the Pope's and Christian Book Banners errors), then Harry is Christ to Voldemort's Sin. Voldemort is evil incarnate. He runs a band of "death eaters" who commit murder for fun. They spread enmity and discord and reap murder and mayhem as fruits. They are everything that is evil and despicable and wrong. Harry, on the other hand, is the good, the pure, the innocent who is the world's only hope for salvation. Oh, yeah, and he has magical powers. But then, so did Christ, if you recall. What was all that walking on water if not magical?

JK Rowling has spurred children to read. The stories are full of life lessons that are much more palatable than those sickening and saccharine "Very Special Episodes" on television family sit-coms where one child does battle with some societal ill. I always hated those "Very Special Blossam's" because they weren't fun or even funny. Rowling's works, on the other hand, are rich tales of intrigue for children. We love the characters for what we see of ourselves in them. There is no doubt in my mind that I am a Hermione Granger. And I love her all the more for it. Hermione started S.P.E.W. (Society for the Promotion of Elvish Welfare) to gain rights for house elves, I lead a strike to gain the right to play outside for children. We have a lot in common.

Rowlings works capture the minds of children and make them dream. To me, this can only be a good thing. I don't know how one would go about measuring the value or the impact that Rowling's series has had on literacy. Personally, I've been reading since I was old enough to hold a book. My father insisted upon it.

(You see, my sister and I would go out to the farm every summer. My father, a voracious reader, became worried that my sister and I were not learning to love reading. So, he told my stepmother to take us to the library and get us some books. However, the local library of a small farming community didn't have a great selection and we quickly ran out of items of interest. This problem was compounded by the amount of time we spent in vehicles. You see, as I have discussed before, we lived out there. It was 4 hours to the nearest mall, 30 minutes to a grocery store. Most days we spent more than an hour on the road. So, my father insisted that we find a book store or some other material to read. My sister and I discovered Archie comics. My father funded our addiction and subscriptions. Then, as we grew older, we discovered sci-fi, fantasy, and other books. But there is no doubt in my mind that my father and stepmother are responsible for my 2 books/week habit.)

JK Rowling's first novel was, literarily speaking, not the best. But, each book in the series has gotten better from this starting point. I know many poo-poo Rowling's achievements for the simple fact that she has been well-rewarded for her efforts. To me, this just means she is a smart business woman. What Bill Gates did for personal computing, I believe JK Rowling has done for literature, literacy, and heaven knows how many generations of readers. She has done a wonderful thing and deserves every penny of what she has been paid.

I read the books because they bring me joy. If you haven't read them, I highly recommend picking them up. You won't regret it.

And so ends the JK Rowling love-fest.

Labels:

posted by Phoenix | 9:04 AM


>2 Comments:

At 2:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't read a single one of her books but without even doing so I can agree with you completely on your most important point. The lady has inspired children to read again in a culture where books were fast becoming a thing of the past. Hats off to her I say considering the task could not have been an easy one. Perhaps I should begin reading those books?

 
At 3:41 PM, Blogger Phoenix said...

Silk,

I, quite obviously, started reading them as an adult. I was skeptical at first. I admit that the words, "but they are for children..." was uttered by me before I read them. At my sisters' (both of them actually - the one that is now 28 and the other who is 17) urging, I read the first one and discovered that it was SO much better than the movie. Then, lo and behold, I had to run right out and by every one that I could find - in hardback - so that I could know the rest of the story. I was one of the freaks who ordered not one, but two copies of Order of the Phoenix. I had to order one each from Amazon & Barnes & Noble because I wasn't sure which would be delivered sooner on that saturday by FedEx. (B&N came first by 2 hours.) Now, quite obviously, I am super excited about Book 6 - The Half-Blood Prince - and this time will be picking it up on Friday at midnight instead of waiting for some truck to arrive Saturday.

Which is a long-winded way of saying you won't be disappointed if you decide to read them.

They have wide appeal! When the movie version of Prisoner of Azkaban came out last year, I had to order my tickets online so that I KNEW that I had tickets. When I got to the theater, a sign was up saying all of the rest of the day's showings were sold out. If you didn't already have tickets, you could buy some for tomorrow. The funny thing is, I ran into a Marine at the theater. I was re-reading OOTP at the time and he caught me with the book. It started this whole conversation...blah, blah, blah.

What more do you need to know? Oh - another bit of info - did you know that the Marines at GITMO are trying to get copies of the books in Arabic because the detainees have been requesting them?

I promise you, if you read them, you won't be disappointed. They are THAT good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Poetry:


Popular Posts:


Fiction:

divas


mensclub


divaettes


fighting 101s