Tuesday, October 24, 2006
This One is For Bobgirrl and Christina:
One small task that I have to do everyday is search a handful of terms in Google's news service. The nature of these terms is such that I get a very odd assortment of stories. Sometimes, mixed in there with the hilarious, ridiculous, and odd informational piece you find a real gem. About 6 months ago I found just such a gem: a recipe.

And not just any recipe, but an easy recipe for Chocolate Cream Pie.

And not just any Chocolate Cream Pie, but President Bush's favorite Chocolate Cream Pie.

So, I post this recipe for Bobgirrl (who requested it) and Christina (just because she needs it)...

President Bush's Favorite Chocolate Cream Pie (recipe by Chef Thaddeus DuBois)

Ingredients
2 cups milk
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons cornstarch
2/3 cup milk
1 egg
8 ounces good quality dark chocolate
1/4 stick butter, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 graham cracker crust
1 pint whipped cream, sweetened
chocolate shavings, as needed


Combine 2 cups milk, sugar and salt and bring to a boil without stirring in a heavy sauce pan.
Meanwhile, combine cornstarch and 2/3 cup milk and whisk together. Whisk egg into the cornstarch mixture. When mixture from step 1 comes to a boil, add mixture from step 2 and cook until mixture boils. Remove mixture from the heat, whisk in chocolate, butter and vanilla. Stir until chocolate is melted. Pour into prepared pie shell. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator until cold. Top with whipped cream and garnish with chocolate shavings.
Makes 1 (10-inch) pie.

Phoenix's Special Notes:

I use 1% milk, be advised that if you use whole milk you end up with more volume. Also, there is no discernable difference in taste or texture if you use a less fatty milk. For the chocolate, I use an 8 oz. bar of Hershey's Special Dark. This can be found on the candy aisle of your grocery. I realize that a more expensive chocolate might improve the pie, but the Hershey's Special Dark is spectacular, easy to find, and very affordable. I use a Kiebler pre-made graham cracker crust (baking aisle) and it works like a dream. When I garnish my pie slices for serving, I put whipped cream on top, grate more chocolate onto the whipped cream, then use some Hershey chocolate syrup to drizzle over the top and decorate the plate. NOBODY TURNS THIS DOWN!

Now then, one last note. If you buy the bigger Kiebler crust - the one that advertises 2 additional servings - I make one and a half recipes. In my kitchen, using 1% milk, this makes a very full pie (but doesn't overflow) and then you have plenty for everybody.

I have made this pie about 15 or 20 times since discovering the recipe. I can make it in 15 minutes flat, in fact. There is one secret to the recipe, however, and I share it with you now. Prepare the ingredients ahead. Don't try to get things together as you go, but have everything mostly ready before starting. Chop your chocolate, measure and mix your cornstarch with the egg and milk. Have the butter and vanilla out and ready. Have the crust ready to receive the finished filling.

This is not a recipe that waits for the timid. While you are not supposed to stir the first step (sugar, milk, salt), you are going to want to stir continuously after adding the cornstarch-milk-egg mixture in order to have a silky texture. You are going to have to stir with one hand and add the chocolate, vanilla, and butter. I don't want to scare you, merely impress upon you how fast this recipe develops once things start happening. You don't want lumpy pie. Nobody likes that.

But trust me when I tell you that this pie is a winner. You need proof? My mother-in-law asked for the recipe.

'Nough said.
posted by Phoenix | 9:53 AM


>2 Comments:

At 2:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH, YUM!

 
At 11:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't wait to make this for all my Democrat friends. And you can be sure I'll give them the full name.

Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Poetry:


Popular Posts:


Fiction:

divas


mensclub


divaettes


fighting 101s