Thursday, May 19, 2005
Of Star Wars and Politics
You know, I've said it before and I'll say it again. Just because you are a celebrity doesn't make your political viewpoint somehow more valid. An opinion is an opinion - nothing more. Just because you can emote on the silver screen and suck up to the academy, does not make you Henry Kissinger, 'kay?

I am sick unto death of all the rabble drawing parallels between "The Empire" in George Lucas's imagination to the George W. Bush Administration. Sick. Unto. Death.

And, I have a hard time believing the tripe too. What bullshit! As though Lucas knew in 1977 who would be President in 2005, and what wars would be ongoing at that time. Bullpuckey! He's no Nostradamus. He's not the Messiah. (No matter what the geeks may think.) I have read that he may have been commenting on Vietnam when he wrote Star Wars, but I think it hubris to suggest he knew then about the coming administration of W and its supposed ills.

And who are these desperate people who need to see political commentary in everything? Have they no soul? Politics isn't the end all and be all of existence. There are things out there in the world that have nothing to do with George W. Bush, Halliburton, Enron, et al. While I fully recognize that there are cultural works out there that do present politically or socially motivated commentary, such as Uncle Tom's Cabin, The Wizard of Oz, The works of Mark Twain, and others, I refuse to believe in the omniscience of George Lucas.

I refuse to see politics in a pink Kate Spade bag. I refuse to see a right or left wing agenda in the weather. I refuse to see an opinion on the judicial fillibuster in a blue Gap twin set.

If the 'Empire' = Evil Chimpy McShrubhalliburtonoil, then Lord Voldemort = Hillary Rotten Clinton. See, I can do it to! It makes no sense, but I can spout off idiotic things too!

No Dresses for Semen!

Do Not Enslave Gen X, Y, & Z to the Baby Boomers!

Let's invade Saudi Arabia Next!

What crap.
posted by Phoenix | 9:05 AM


>0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Poetry:


Popular Posts:


Fiction:

divas


mensclub


divaettes


fighting 101s